Question about preamp and power amp tubes

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jason honaker, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows of one definitive site that lists various tubes and explains there characteristics. I have some tube knowledge but not enough to really make a difference.

Thanks

2. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Try watford valves website.

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Upscale Audio

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Or skip the web sites and invest in your own personal copy of the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Start with the RC-30 edition.

5. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

All the above + click http://www.nj7p.org/Tube.php for data sheets.

What leofenderbender asks is also most important. Are you looking for specs or subjective opinions or a combination of both?

-Jon

6. Thanks very much for all the help! To answer a previous question, I was looking for a combination of opinions and specs. I recently bought a Peavey JSX and have been trying to learn more about various tubes and their different tone qualities (again, i know some...just not enough).

Much Respect,

Jason

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Have you visited the PV site? Thats where the JSX info is. However heres the run down on locations and fuction.

The small tube next to the power tubes and socketed on the same board is V4, the phase splitter.

The three tubes on the main board are V1,2,3. They are numbered in order, and V1 is the one closest to the input jack.

V1 is the input stage and is used in all channels.

V2 is the extra gain stages added in for the lead and crunch channels.

V3 is the active EQ tube for crunch and lead, and also the preamp output buffer and loop recovery tube.

So V1 will affect all channels, while V2 will affect only crunch and lead. Half of V3 affects all, and the other half only the active EQ.

Ive tried many various tubes in the JSX and as far as pre amp tubes are concerned so far the best combo Ive found is V-1 JJ ECC803s V-2 Chinese 9th generation(latest) V-3 JJ ECC803s V-4 -JJ ECC83s.So to my ears the tubes that have SOUNDED best in the JSX are the JJ ECC803s and Chinese 12AX7. As far as power tubes are concerned I think the JSX just sounds better with 6L6's. Maybe because PV has always used 6L6's instead of EL34's. A good inexpensive 6L6 is the Sovtek 6L6WXT+
    Of all the pre amp tubes the V-1 and V-3(at least for dirty channels) have the most affect on overall sound. The JJ ECC803s(my favorite so far in the JSX) is nice full bodied sounding tube while retaining more top end than is counterpart ECC83s model. The JJ ECC83s took off too much sparkle for my tastes(kind of dulled it up) The Ei's were too bright. The Chinese 12AX7 are nice high gain and good all around. I havent tried the Tung Sol's in it yet but I will very soon.(they are on the way!) If your game and can afford it buy a few of each and experiment! Hope this helps Bob

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Jason - I've been on that quest for many years, and I still cannot recommend a single site. The Watford Valves site mentioned seems to have some of that information, but as I delved into preamp tube trials, I found their descriptions to be different than my experience (they began to smell more like quasi-b.s. marketing pitches).

Over four years later, and some 30+ NOS preamp tubes later, I've come up with my own detailed impressions, which I'll gladly share with you if you'd like. I've tried to use descriptions that include relative responsiveness/dynamics/compression, tonal emphasis and frequency extension (or lack thereof), and clarity/articulation (instead of a string of emphatic superlatives). Just PM me with your email address, and I'll send you a Word document.

Cheers!

- T