Question about Premium Strings

drew365

Gold Supporting Member
If I buy a premium set of strings like D'Addario NYXL or EB Cobalt, is the magic metal mojo only on the wound strings, or are the unwound also different than a standard set?

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Dont know if wound have the mojo but I can say NYXL are the best strings Ive played and Ive been using them since they were introduced. Most durable and great feeling strings. Havent really had any breaks. Cobalts were way too bright for my taste.

drew365

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting. On Strat's I like to use 9.5's on the unwound and 9's on the wound. I was wondering if I used the NYXL's, if I was giving up anything by switching out the unwound's. So, I guess I would be. Actually, I'm surprised, because I was guessing that way they do the winding is the secret to their premium status, and that the plain strings wouldn't change. Thanks.

Stratobuc

If you're going boutique, I would suggest the Scalar's. I used their SOB strings in the past, and they were excellent. I use Curt Mangan for everything now, and find them a happy medium - best performance at a fair price.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
If I buy a premium set of strings like D'Addario NYXL or EB Cobalt, is the magic metal mojo only on the wound strings, or are the unwound also different than a standard set?
EB Cobalts are my favorite strings. I don't know that they sound much better than others I've tried, but I really love they feel. You should at least try them out.

drew365

Gold Supporting Member
I was mainly interested if the metal was any different on the plain strings of a premium set. I'm happy with the NYXL's. I use cobalt on low output humbuckers. I don't like them on single coils or higher output humbuckers. Thanks.

Polynitro

I auditioned strings all this week
I got bored with EB Slinkys and they go old fast
I tried Msteel, NYXL, and Cobalts

NYXL
-these are my favorite. Feel great, sound great, hold tune forever. Brightest of the three.
Cobalt-feel and sound great. Lots of midrange. sound especially good on the neck pickup. There is a clarity that enables you to hear
things you dont on lesser quality strings. (kind of surprising actually)
MSteel-these are just OK. all these strings are supposed to be louder than normal strings but I didnt notice this at all.
what I did notice with the Msteels is my headstock tuner gets a reading faster with these for some reason. I guess that mean they are louder?
In an amp though they dont drive it any harder or anything like that. When tuning my tuner usually takes half a second to give me the note
but with these its fast, like turbo tuner fast.

anyway its a great idea to experiment with strings-you learn a lot. I did this one other time but when I played Pure Nickels and now that I stopped playing
Pure Nickels I had to redo my experiment. That experiment BTW concluded with SOB and Pyramid Max Performance as my favorites.
and for the money (read: cheap) D'addario EPNs were almost as good as the pricey ones.

The cheap ones I like best for nickel plated are Dunlop. These are similar to Cobalts but half the price.

DaveKS

I was mainly interested if the metal was any different on the plain strings of a premium set. I'm happy with the NYXL's. I use cobalt on low output humbuckers. I don't like them on single coils or higher output humbuckers. Thanks.
All string makers have "their special ton'z" formulations, as far as actually different as far as plain steel formula, sure their all different but metallurgically speaking not a lot, the EB MSteel and Pyramid Monel steel are ones that come to mind that actually use supposedly different steel formula.

Some makers like Optima and some of the Pyramids actually plate their steel strings with gold or silver.

It's all a crap shoot anyway, what premium set you get that might sound great on this guitar might actually be a detriment to another. Hollow body, semi-hollow, ash, basswood solid, this pu, that pu. To me anybody who says I only uses this of brand strings for my all guitars isn't doing it right. Every guitar has a different character and needs.

Last edited:

twanguru

All string makers have "their special ton'z" formulations, as far as actually different as far as plain steel formula, sure their all different but metallurgical speaking not a lot, the EB MSteel and Pyramid Monel steel are ones that come to mind that actually use supposedly different steel formula.
D'Addario NYXLs are metallurgically different. You can learn more about them here:http://www.nyxlstory.com/

Kyle Byquist

the NYXL are fantastic. I'd played regular D'Addario for a long time and decided to try them out. They stay in tune WAY better (stayed in tune on my Strat after enduring an LAX-SEA flight in checked baggage) and I feel that they have a sweetness and resonance that most strings don't have. Hard to describe but I'm definitely not switching back

Bonesaw123

I gotta say...
Been using Boomers on Strats and Snake Oils on the PRS singlecut...
Tried the NYXLs on the low action set, inexpensive 'beater' Powerhouse Strat (a dark sounding guitar normally)
and jeez that thing came to life! Getting even more unpredictable tone from Fuzz and other dirt.
Put that set on last November and it's still harmonically superior to any previous string experimentation. 1046's.

Played my 72 American Strat with fresh Boomers on it and it sounded .... squishy(?)
where as it normally plays much brighter and crisper.

I'm a believer.
10.00 a pop for 3.... and bends like a Sumbitc*?

I'm there... until a better string that lasts this long comes along.

Last edited:

Trending Topics