Question about recording a pedal steel part...from across the country

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by devinb, Jan 10, 2008.

1. devinb

devinb Member

Okay, here's the situation...I'm working on a project in Cleveland right now in a really cool studio (The Beatles played live on the radio in the tracking room):

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about hiring a session player in Denver to play on one track...he's very reasonable as he records at home, I believe...

I've been experimenting with a lot of things, different mics, mic'ing the backs of open cabinets, and so on...

I'm not an engineer...but I'm kind of wondering if it might be worthwhile to have the pedal steel player just record direct, and then mess with the track in the studio in Cleveland, running it through different amps, recording at different distances and such...

Are there any significant disadvantages to this?

2. vladshap

vladshap Member

have him record direct in, with a direct box. and than when you get the file use a ReAmp box to send it through the amps.

3. devinb

devinb Member

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, I just wanted to double check.

4. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Another option is for him to record two tracks for you.
    This is pretty common with some of the FTP sharing we do with Pro Tools here in Nashville.

Have them record a "stereo pass" on two tracks. One is direct, and the other is with his preferred personal rig setup.

That way you have one that's "ready made," since most pro steel players know how to dial in their own rig if they have a home recording setup.

And in case you aren't crazy about their personal rig, you have the direct track that you can re-amp however you like. Or, if you like his take, but want to add some more color with re-amping the direct tone, you have that option as well.

JC

5. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

+1 Good call Jayson.