• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question about recording with ZVex LoopJunky??

drolling

Hey all,

Just wonderin if my Junky gone funky or if it's supposed to work this way;

When I tap 'record' a second time, the loop doesn't start playing, as is the case with every other looper I've owned.

What makes it more confusing is, it's inconsistent - about 25% of the time the loop DOES begin with a second tap of the record switch. The other 75% of the time it won't begin to playback till I hit the left (stop/start) switch.

?????:confused:?????

Teahead

The LJ doesn't begin playback until you hit the play switch, so you need to stop record and start playback with a single stomp covering both switches. Unless you begin recording while a loop is playing, or hit the play switch whilst recording, in which case it will begin playback as soon as you stop the recording. Does this sound like what's happening?

Panacea

The LJ doesn't begin playback until you hit the play switch, so you need to stop record and start playback with a single stomp covering both switches. Unless you begin recording while a loop is playing, or hit the play switch whilst recording, in which case it will begin playback as soon as you stop the recording. Does this sound like what's happening?
This. Teahead, your clips are of legend!

btmish

Well, while we are at it, if you don't mind, I have another lo-fi question. I am currently selling one on ebay, and a guy ask me if it can record in bypass mode. I said I have no idea, he then asked if it had the mod, again I don't know never heard of it.

The question is, HOW would you record in bypass mode, or, more simply, how would you even get to bypass mode? There is a record button, and a start button. I guess I don't understand this guys question, although it's probably some sort of brain fart on my end.

Teahead

This. Teahead, your clips are of legend!
Thank you! :eek:

Well, while we are at it, if you don't mind, I have another lo-fi question. I am currently selling one on ebay, and a guy ask me if it can record in bypass mode. I said I have no idea, he then asked if it had the mod, again I don't know never heard of it.

The question is, HOW would you record in bypass mode, or, more simply, how would you even get to bypass mode? There is a record button, and a start button. I guess I don't understand this guys question, although it's probably some sort of brain fart on my end.
I think he's calling playback stop "bypass" in that question. A distant memory tells me the early LJ's needed to have playback active in order for the record to function. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

drolling

Thanks T! yeah.. it's confusing - especially since I finally got used to 'punching in' on the one for rhythmic looping in real time w/various BOSS, DigiTech (etc.) samplers/loopers. Also, mine's a Laura Bennett limited edition too, so there're no writing/labels at all.. Sure is purty, tho'..

To attempt to answer the other question, the Lo-Fi's a 'one-shot' looper, so if a loop's already running, you can stop/start with the left switch. Stepping on the right switch (record/playback) will erase & record over whatever's on there ~ Unless you've 'locked' the loop w/that tiny switch between the depth & speed *controls.

I'd also be very interested to hear more about this *"mod", unless the guy's simply referring to the 'modulation' circuit I mentioned above

dancehall

Slightly offtopic, do you guys know of any pedal that will get you the warped-record sound of the LFLJ without the looping part?

drolling

The wobble's jus pitch modulation, so any chorus/vibrato pedal should get you into the ballpark. Closest I've got in the toy chest would maybe be the *Detuned* setting on my Whammy pedal. DeluxeMemory Man'll get you into that 'seasick' zone as well.

The "lo-fi" stuff's a bit trickier. Lotsa 'white' noise added, for sure. Maybe one of those fancy delays that "re-samples" the signal at a lower bit-rate?

I tried this pedal once called a "Sonic Decimator" or something like that. Basically trashes your nice clean signal one byte at a time. Real expensive & made my guitar sound terrible.. Great combination!

btmish

Wow, nice guitar! Thanks you guys fro the responses, although I am still not sure I understand. Basically, I understand it like drolling, you can record, and record over, and start/stop that recording. This recording while the pedal is bypassed just makes no sense to me. I don't seem to have to have playback active to record, per your answer teahead, so maybe mine has the "mod" this guy is talking about. Although, if there were such a mod, and earlier pedals did not have it, I am surprised there is no mod listed for it under zvex's mod page.

drolling

well, to make a long, convoluted story more long & convoluted, I actually just got mine back - I was so taken with it in the guitar shop, that I failed to notice the modulation was barely functioning.. till I heard a clip a few weeks ago.

So, off it went for a tune up; They got the modulation going beautifully, and I also asked them to look into the sketchy record/playback function at the same time.

But, it's this inconsistency that's bugging me, although the guy I spoke to yesterday seemed to think it was working correctly - and I really don't like mailing stuff (insane postman syndrome) around, and avoid it whenever possible..

Oh yeah, just got a bill from FedEX today ~ 40 bucks.. Guess I'll have to call Mr.Vex again..:jo

I love this thing, tho' - it's definitely not yer grandpappy's looper!

zachary vex

Thank you! :eek:

I think he's calling playback stop "bypass" in that question. A distant memory tells me the early LJ's needed to have playback active in order for the record to function. Maybe someone else can confirm this?
True. The very first couple of batches could not record while the pedal was disengaged.

The change I made to solve this problem caused the pedal to be pseudo-true-bypass. Some people insist on real true bypass, and that is the MOD he was talking about... the MOD consists of cutting one jumper on the playback switch.

Since then, they work like this:

You can record a loop anytime. Just check the safe switch (put it in "unsafe")

A] If the unit is not engaged (playing), hit the record button and hit it again when you're done. You won't hear playback. Your sample will be ready for the moment you hit the playback button.

B] If the unit is not engaged and you wish to have it play immediately after you record the sample, hit the record button and capture your sample, then hit BOTH buttons (to kill the record process with the right-hand button, and engage the playback with the left one.)

B alt] An alternate method of doing this is to hit both buttons to engage the record process and prepare for playback, then hit the record button again to initiate immediate playback.

C] However, if it's already engaged and playing, hitting the record button will still let you record a new sample (and it will also silence your current loop that was playing), and when you hit record a second time you'll hear playback immediately.

D] Here's the weirdest one of all. Let's say your loop is playing, and you want to stop the playback at the same instant you prepare a new sample, but you don't want that sample to play instantly, instead saving it for later playback. I'm sure you can think of an instance where this might come in handy. You have the unit engaged and playing, you hit the record when you want to record your new sample, and then hit both switches at once to stop the unit from playing back and also stop recording.

btmish

True. The very first couple of batches could not record while the pedal was disengaged.

The change I made to solve this problem caused the pedal to be pseudo-true-bypass. Some people insist on real true bypass, and that is the MOD he was talking about... the MOD consists of cutting one jumper on the playback switch.

Since then, they work like this:

You can record a loop anytime. Just check the safe switch (put it in "unsafe")

A] If the unit is not engaged (playing), hit the record button and hit it again when you're done. You won't hear playback. Your sample will be ready for the moment you hit the playback button.

B] If the unit is not engaged and you wish to have it play immediately after you record the sample, hit the record button and capture your sample, then hit BOTH buttons (to kill the record process with the right-hand button, and engage the playback with the left one.)

B alt] An alternate method of doing this is to hit both buttons to engage the record process and prepare for playback, then hit the record button again to initiate immediate playback.

C] However, if it's already engaged and playing, hitting the record button will still let you record a new sample (and it will also silence your current loop that was playing), and when you hit record a second time you'll hear playback immediately.

D] Here's the weirdest one of all. Let's say your loop is playing, and you want to stop the playback at the same instant you prepare a new sample, but you don't want that sample to play instantly, instead saving it for later playback. I'm sure you can think of an instance where this might come in handy. You have the unit engaged and playing, you hit the record when you want to record your new sample, and then hit both switches at once to stop the unit from playing back and also stop recording.
Thank you Mr. Vex, I should be able to figure this out now. I think mine has this "mod" though. It was made in 03' I wonder what year you started doing this?

I am going to both take the back off and look for the soldered pieces, and plug it in a try these so as to answer this guys question correctly. That is if I can get out of bed, the back is almost not working the last few days.

zachary vex

There should be a jumper on the play switch between the two pins nearest the output jack. If it isn't there, the unit is a very early one. If it has been cut, the unit has been modded to true-bypass. In both cases, you will not be able to record unless the unit is in play.

To record with one of these units when the pedal is not engaged, hit both switches to initiate recording, then hit the record switch only to stop recording and hear the loop. If you wish to save the loop for later and not hear it at all, hit both switches to stop recording instead.

Trending Topics