Question about Reinhardt Jester

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ud Reks, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

As I understand it, this amp is in the Trainwreck family. No mastervolume, you need lots of use of the guitar's volume knob to get different sounds out of it. I've played Trainwreck style amps before they are always LOUD.

I was on the Reinhardt site today when I realized that you can order a Jester with Power Scaling (or Scale Valve...).

Hmmmm, if this works as well on the Jester as it does on the 18w, then I'm very very interested.

Has the Trainwreck finally been tamed?

2. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I had a Jester and liked it allot. Hopefully the guy that bought it from me will see this thread and respond because he had Bob install power scaling on it after he bought it from me. I is 40 watts and needs an attenuator or scaling in allot of situations......

~Joe

3. Griz

Griz Member

Jester, huh?

Shouldn't you preface that question with "Riddle me this..."?

:D:drink

4. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I had the Ampzilla for a short period.....supposedly, channel 1 is the same as the Jester.....

I can't comment on the Jester...but the Ampzilla was a beast......it was an awesome amp, but it was too much for me......

5. DAB

DAB Member

What does that mean exactly? I am considering an Ampzilla or a Storm 33. Was it too loud? Too gainy? ?????

I am interested in your opinion but I have no idea what it is.

Dave

6. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Did that Ampzilla have power scaling?

7. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

The Ampzilla that I had (unfortunately) did not have power scaling or a master volume.

I guess I should have clarified the term "beast" a little better.....sorry about that......

The amp was very loud and it did it quick.....meaning....it did not have much room on the volume knob for moderate volumes.....it got loud quick....

...and the notes seemed to 'pop' off your strings more than any other amp I have ever played.....does that make sense?

That being said......the amp has an awesome tone and Mr. Reinhardt is a fantastic builder with exceptional customer service. I would not hesitate to buy another amp from him. When he found out that I was thinking about selling it, he emailed me and asked if there was anything that he could do to modify the amp to make it closer to something that I would prefer....now THATS customer service.

..btw...here are a few videos...

AMPZILLA....

http://www.vintageamp.net/ampfest/ampzilla.html

JESTER....

http://www.vintageamp.net/ampfest/jester.html

8. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I'm really glad someone started this thread, because the Jester is an amp I'm seriously considering. I visited with a forum member a few weeks ago and he had a Trainwreck Liverpool clone, which totally blew me away...very hot sounding, yet clear at the same time. It responded well to volume knob adjustments and sustained for days. Really nice response from that amp. My understanding is that the Jester is like a Liverpool and I really like the clips on Bob's site as well as the video with Greg Germino playing the amp at the NC amp fest.

For those who have owned the Jester- please tell us your impressions (pros/cons). My biggest decision has to do with going with a Reinhardt Jester (what I'm leaning toward, being familiar with Bob's amps and having really positive interactions with Bob in the past) or getting a Liverpool clone from a reputable builder (like the amp I described above).:confused:

Cheers,

KHAN.

9. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I am the guy that bought Joe's Jester and then had Bob install ps on it. Very nice amp and the scaling did help quite a bit, but it did get fizzy at low volumes and Bob knows that is the case.

I did not find the amp to be crazy loud. Loud? Yes, but it is around 36 watts. Very nice amp for sure and Bob is just awesome. I sold the amp because for mostly playing around the house it is too much amp. I would love to own another Reinhardt. If there was a 25w version of the ampzilla I would buy that in a second.

Hope that helps.

10. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Thank you all very much for your input it's been very helpful.

I am about to order a Reinhardt amp, but not the one under discussion here.

:NUTS

11. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Could you describe the tone based on the guitars you were playing with it? Was it chimey, bright, etc? The Liverpool clone I played has really nice single note clarity, even when in high gain. I thought that was really cool. I'm a hard rock/metal player, and when I played the Liverpool clone, I was really amazed at the level of gain that came out of this thing. How did the Reinhardt do in this dept?

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I had the Jester here on demo for a little while. It was a smoking little lead amp that gave up the goods by about three on the volume knob. It was a very wreckish/vintage gain sound. With a les paul screaming leads and chewy rythm sounds were the order of the day. It had a large output transformer and got pretty loud pretty quick. It also had that great EL84 greasy chime. I nearly bought it but decided to go with the 18 instead so I could have a lower volume amp around the house.

13. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I would say that Hee Haw nailed the description. The Jester has loads of gain. Not into metal territory, but you could use a pedal. The gain is very classic rock almost up to 80's hard rock. Nothing bad to say about the amp.

14. steelvalley

steelvalley Member

I'm looking for the same amp, and have it narrowed to the same possibilities. I have the Dr Z Maz GT on the short list as well - it seems to work fairly well with the Airbrake to help with the volume.

15. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

I pulled the trigger today. Ordered a Titan SV.

16. guitdlxe

guitdlxe Member

Try the Jester with the power scaling option. I have been using a Storm 33 both in the studio and live with the PS option and it works well. The same basic function as an Air Brake but one less piece of equipment to deal with.

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Good choice, I'm sure you will like it. The titan was my very first reinhardt amp. I've regretted selling it till this very day.