Question about replacing a Strat Trem bridgeblock.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dleobold, Jun 22, 2008.

1. dleobold

dleobold Member

Hello,

I have a 02 Highway One Stratocaster that I am slowly upgrading, and Im thinking about replacing the bridgeblock, cause from what I understand, the Highway one bridgeblocks are pretty weak in the sustain area. I was thinking of going with one from Callaham, just the block, not the whole trem. Is this the best place to get a block only? Im not totally dissatisfied with the saddles and the plate itself, at least not at the moment.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Callaham is as good as it gets. Check the website or give them a call and they'll make sure you get the right block. Glendale also makes blocks, but not sure if they fit Hwy 1's.

It's a great upgrade btw.

3. Guitarman3366

Guitarman3366 Member

I have a HWY-1 and I wanted a new block. My grandpa has a machine shop, so I decided to build my own. I actually called callaham and they were very helpful. They gave me a few tips on how to build my own block. I made a pretty good block and installed it. At first I heard a big difference and so did my buddies. Recently, I broke the trem arm off in the block and had to put the old one back in for a gig. Although I did not have as much sustain, the guitar seemed to have a lot more life with the original block in it. Long story short, a high density bridge may increase sustain, but it seemed to make the guitar feel stiff. Overall, I think that the stock block is ok. Its not 1080 cold-rolled, but it is still a high density material that is well balanced.
    -Ben

4. dleobold

dleobold Member

cool advice. thank you. if it does wind up making the guitar flat sounding i could always put the old one back in. the guitar is on the bright side tonally as it is since I put in some seymour duncan vintage staggered's in it. it could use a slight darkening of its tone, but not too much

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I love the block. Helps with sustain. Good investment.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Beware that your 02 pre-Upgrade H1 will use different parts than the 2005.5 so-called 'Upgrade' Highway Ones use. Bill C. offers different blocks for both types of H1s.

My first recommendation is the Callaham 6 hardened mount screws in place of the soft stock ones. This, the better saddles, and his inexpensive base plate for your bridge pickup may give you all the extra you need. The block will help too, but it is the more expensive, not necessarily the most obvious upgrade of your sound.

Bubban0v

7. dleobold

dleobold Member

Ok Cool. Thanks! I hadnt thought about those other upgrades. I like the Idea of the hardended screws especially. :dude