Question about Ron Ellis Strat pick-ups.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by travesty, Mar 23, 2015.

1. travesty

travesty Supporting Member

All,

These questions are for all the Ron Ellis Strat pick-up users. Why do you like your Ron Ellis Strat pick-ups? I am looking for a set for my Verrilli Strat. How much should I expect to pay for a new set? I emailed Ron but have not received a response from him. I have a chance to buy used set of 50/60's, but I would like to hear from all of you regarding your experiences. My Strat is a light weight ash body, with a maple neck with a dual fretboard (half-maple and half-rosewood). Any information would be helpful! Thanks for your time.

2. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I cannot speak to what they sound like, but I have been waiting for mine since April of 2014. Ron is not very good at communication. Not trying to slam the guy, but this has been my experience with him so far. You have to pay up front and than be willing to wait. I suggest that you either buy used or look elsewhere. There are a lot of good pickup makers out there.

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

ToneKing, If you have proof you paid Ron for those pickups you need to contact him with the details and you will get them. Sounds like he does not know about your order. He hired a guy around the time you stated to take orders and do admin tasks that really screwed him around causing lost orders and missing payments. Obviously the guy is gone but some of the damage he did still survives. Ron is a good guy that just wants to wind great pickups......really.
    Rob

4. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

I have a set... I like them but not necessarily better than others... just a little different. .. keep in mind this is just my opinion... :)...

Ellis... stratty but warmer
    Fralin Vintage Hots.. very "stratty"... with a mid bite
    Sliders 59's... clear.. balanced, stratty
    Papa George Greasy Hots.. clear, balanced and a little different but in a good way

I still have all these sets... I find that matching them to different guitars makes all the difference..

5. cray2008

cray2008 Member

I have a set in my Strat- got them 4 years ago before his waiting list got crazy. I think I still waited 4 to 6 months. They are great- but no greater then any other good winder. Most of it is forum hype/ especially on pickups. I am thinking of selling mine just to make a profit. His pickups are loud in compassion to other single coils. The volume level is identical to my p90 lollars in my LP special. they are a bit hotter than vintage pickups too. I really like them - but would probably liked a set of lollars too. #snakeoil

6. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Yes, I have proof. I sent it off to him once again, yesterday. When I places my order, it was the gal and Ron who I conversed with. At his point, I would be just as happy with a refund