Question about running two amps, split from delay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Auld, May 10, 2008.

1. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

This is a question for all the amp geniuses :)

Rig is Les Paul --> OD --> AC30CC with an Echo Park delay in the effects loop.

The delay has stereo out. If I run that second output to the input of another amp, what will be happening? So the Echo Park is placed between my preamp tubes and my power amp tubes, right?

In effect, I will be sending the AC30's post-preamp tube signal into the IN of the 2nd amp. Is this kosher?

Thanks in advance for the info
    SA

2. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

It will work but it may not yield pleasing results. You would probably be better off to run the stereo outs right into the front of both for delay.

3. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Mmmmbut I hate the sound of OD'd delay into front of amp.

Guitar->OD->Delay->amp sounds bad, it gets real mungy. It only delays the OD'd sounds correctly when it's in the loop.

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

This is what it would look like.

Note that the loop signal goes straight into the front of the 2nd amp.

[​IMG]

Will this harm the 2nd amp, for it to be getting the loop signal from the other amp into the front of it?

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Optimum setup would be a splitter after the OD, into two amps, and two different delays, one in the loop of each amp. I just don't have a 2nd delay.

But if I did that, I would lose the ping-pong effect ... I like putting the delay in ping-pong mode so that it bounces between the two amps. Stereosyncronicity :D

6. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

How did you do the graphics?

Is there a place to get the guitar product pics to put in paint or did you clone them all in photoshop?

7. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Hiya. Just photoshop.

Google image search for the products, then paste them in and drew the connecting lines using the path tool. :)

S

8. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

What about having the second delay output go straight into the effects return on the second amp?

:confused:

Ed

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

That's what I would do. For example you can globally set up a DD20 to match loops in and out.

Best, Pete.

10. uberpict

uberpict Member

This is how my rig is set-up and I'm very pleased with the results. You have to work with the gain and volume of the loop out, stereo delay unit, input level of the second amp and loop in of the first amp but once you have it dialed in you're good to go. Then once the gain structure is set the amps have to be EQ'd together for a pleasing tone.

IMHO, the hardest part is getting all the gain and volumes knobs set so you're not distorting the delay unit, pushing the second amp too hard or losing input level into the first amps power amp. It can all be balanced out, just takes a little time and patience to tweak all the knobs. You can also use a stereo chorus pedal or a multi-fx with stereo outs. I'm using a multi-fx and can "stack" stereo delay and chorus/flanger for a really thick sound.

11. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Thanks,Pete.That's good to know,as I have a DD20 in my effects arsenal.

:AOK

Ed

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I would too-if the second amp has a loop. Bob

13. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've used 2 amps numerous times I run effects through the effects loop of amp 1 using a stereo chorus & delay. I split the stereo chorus so the delay only goes thru amp 1, amp 2 gets the other phase of the chorus (if used) and you get a wet/dry signal between the 2 amps for delay on 1 side and other amp is dry which sounds bigger vs total delay saturation on both. If you run a distortion pedal run that thru main front input on amp 1 not thru the loop.

14. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Never thought of it :)

SO that would bypass the preamp of the 2nd amp, right? :)

I tried it into the input of the 2nd amp at my gig, the tone was AWESOME on stage with the swirly stereo effect going. I have not had a chance yet to mic the 2nd amp to go to the house.

Next time I will run the 2nd line to the 2nd amps loop-in instead of the front input. :)