question about sales on Gearpage

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dennwall, Feb 27, 2012.

1. dennwall

dennwall Member

Greetings my fellow guitar players!

I just joined a couple of weeks ago to check out some "for sale" items referred to me by a friend. Nice to be part of the community!

This isn't so much an introduction as it is a question... Recently I contacted a seller I found here regarding an ad for a guitar. He described the payment situation for his guitar as something like this... I pay the money in paypal, but he doesn't withdraw it. When I receive the guitar and all is well, I send him a bank check (or cashier's check or something) and we cancel the paypal transaction. He said this was for tax reasons.

Ever heard of this? Is it legit?

Thanks!

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

While there are many "creative" ways to make a Payment for a Emporium Transaction.......there is a "Sticky" regarding said sales....and it's recommended that you pay via PayPal (REGULAR....Not GIFT) if you want any for of protection as a buyer.

Some will argue that outside of Ebay.....PayPal "protection" is Useless....however....if you make a PayPal payment via Credit-card....you do have a viable means to recover your money should an item you purchase turn out to be less than was described.

It makes NO SENSE whatsoever to send the funds twice. Just send the Bank Check (if you're comfortable with that). Now....if the Seller sells more than $20k of gear via PayPal....he will have his transaction records sent to the IRS...so perhaps he's trying to stay under that threshold.

Bottom line:.....you have to decide what level of risk you're willing to take to buy a piece of gear. If it's something you really want.....talk to the seller on the PHONE. Check his Ebay Feedback (if he/she has any), check their TGP Posts and Seller History (Good Dealings)....but if it were me....I'd be very leary of that sort of deal. It should be fine just to be able to send a Bank Check, and leave PayPal out.

3. bobwl

bobwl Member

I'd be weary, sounds like a good way to be out double money. If I'm correct that way the other party would have to refund the money. As far as I know, and I've been using Paypal for about a 12 years, there's no way to do any kind of escrow type transaction with Paypal. Once money is sent it's sent.

4. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

How about if he sent it to you first with a 3-10 day trial period, then you pay him?
    I recently learned that con-artists are also very good liars on the phone, so be aware of that.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

6. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

7. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hey Dennwall,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

8. Ken I