Question about SG's with Maestro's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, Aug 9, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I just recieved my Custom shop Gibson SG (historic) with maestro and I notice one thing: the maestro cover is every so slightly tilted towards the low E side of the guitar and NOT completely straight. So if it were hanging on a wall and you were looking at it straight on....the cover is not completely centered with the bottom of the guitar. Slightly askew.

I noticed this exact same thing (but worse) on a buddies Epiphone that had a factory Maestro on it.

Is this normal? It bugs me a bit knowing its off..

You can "barely" tell from this picture. (notice the gap widens between the maestro cover and the bridge widens as you go towards the high E string direction).
    http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/grinningelk/1882317/Photo2_944cc-Original.jpg

Otherwise...guitar is awesome.

2. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I just looked up at my '64 Firebird hanging on the wall next to me. The maestro cover looks like its not exactly straight on it either. The space between the edge of the cover and the bevel on the guitar body is definitely smaller on the high E side. Intentional?

3. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

No comment on the Maestro, but nice score with the SG!

4. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

it looks straight on my sg. i wouldn´t bither though as long as the strings run straight to the abr.

what i dislike is the bad fitting abr... that should be a much tighter fit imho even with the nearly non existing break angle.

5. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

The one on mine looks straight. You made me look. :D The cover has slots where the screws pass through. If you loosen the screws you should be able to straighten it out.
    Dave

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Beat me to it - it isn't functional. I've got an SG Special and it simply did not have that part - Luckily it also had a "wraparound" bridge which my strings go around because there never was enough downward pressure using the maestro.
    My question is should I just leave the maestro hanging there or take it off completely?
    Best, Pete.

7. kingsxman

I saw that and was wondering. I havent had time to mess with it yet as I just got it. Did gig with it tonight. Mixed reviews. As people say...it DOES rob some tone and sustain. Interestingly, I didnt notice the sustain loss until playing live. There were some notes that I was holding that just died. I also had a string slip off the saddle on the bridge at one point. Someone else mentioned this was a problem with the maestro's becuase of the lack of downward pressure on the bridge. I get it.

8. David Robrecht

I haven't noticed any sustain issues with mine. I did have the saddles replaced with Graph Tech's and that helped a bit. They help with tuning too. I know guys make a big deal about the string angle, but it's not much different than the angle created when top wrapping a hard tail. Top wrapping seems to be pretty popular with a lot of guys with no complaints about sustain. Replacing the stock strings also gave my guitar more sustain and zing. I really disliked the stock vintage style strings. Very dead sounding to my ears.
    Dave

9. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I've got 2 Firebirds, an Explorer and Melody Maker all with Maestros. Sound fine to me.

10. oldcoot

oldcoot Member

I've got a '69 I bought new and been playing since I was 15. It has the same vibrola as yours and never had a problem. Sounds mighty fine to me.

11. kingsxman

Intersting. Do you have a pic of your bridge with the graph techs? The luthier that set this up said that its a Tone Pro bridge. The slots seem a bit small for the strings though.

12. David Robrecht

Sorry, no I don't have any pictures. What did you want to know or see? I don't think the guitar comes stock with a TonePros bridge. Mine has the ABR-1. Does your bridge have the set screws that tighten against the posts?
    Dave

13. kingsxman

I'll have to look at the bridge. I'm just going by what the luthier who set the guitar up said.

I was curious if your graphtech saddles are gray like normal graphtech products and if that looks "funny" with the rest of the bridge.

14. David Robrecht

The saddles are gray like all the other Graph Tech stuff. It doesn't look 100% stock, but the saddles are so small it's hard to notice. They kind of look like tarnished metal.
    Dave

15. jay42

jay42 Member

hmm...I don't quite understand, however, I doubt it's the cover that misaligned. The frame underneath was probably not mounted straight. The cover has...thinking...two or four screws which hold it to the frame. The frame has at least four screws holding it to the body. You might be able to loosed those up and improve the angle. That, or remove it, fill all the holes and drill new ones where they should have been. Assuming the guitar is new, do that as soon as possible. The finish has a tendency to deform around the frame mounts. If you don't feel warm and fuzzy about doing this yourself, then bitch like hell to Gibson.

16. kingsxman

I actually havent had time to try to adjust it yet. If adjusting the 4 screws doesnt work..I'll take a pic for you guys. Its comforting to know a few others have seen the same thing.

17. kingsxman

Dave, my bridge does have screws that tighten. The bottom of the bridge screws screw right into the bottom.

here's a pic of the bridge:
    [​IMG]

18. David Robrecht

The Tone Pros have set screw that run parallel to the strings. The same plane as the saddle adjustment screws. The posts that you see in your picture coming through the holes in the bridge aren't threaded into the bridge. The height adjusting "wheels" are threaded onto the posts and the bridge just sits on top of them. The set screws tighten against the posts. You can see the set screws in the picture in the link.
    Dave

http://www.wdmusic.com/abr1_bridge_replacement_tune_o_31447_prd1.htm

19. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

I love the look of your SG....

And your Iceman!

Peace,

Johnny Lockwood

20. kingsxman

Thanks. The iceman is one of those guitars I have to have before I die. As a big Kiss fan I NEED to own an Ibaneze PS10 at some point. Coolest guitars ever built.