Question about soldering Mogami cable w/ Neutrik connectors.

JDavisNJ

Hi guys,

I bought some Mogami bulk cable to make my own guitar cables. I have a question though. There is only one wire coming from the cable, as seen below, and one contact on the connector. Do I simply solder the one connection? Or do I need to ground the shielding somehow??

http://www.redco.com/images/full/w2524.jpg

Thanks,

-Joe

JDavisNJ

**Update**

I soldered everything up according to the diagram, but the cable sounds weak and not up to it's full potential. Meaning, it sounded 'ok' at best when plugging it in, but then I plugged in my Lava cable and it sounded 10x better.

The strange thing is, there isn't any annoying noise or hum. So I'm guessing, my ground connections might be ok, but the component connections might be spotty.

Any suggestions?

-Joe

JDavisNJ

probably too much heat and a partial ground short would be my guess.
Yeah I was considering a short possibly...

My wire strippers aren't the greatest, so it's possible that a strand was left out somewhere. I'll check it out... thanks

-Joe

JDavisNJ

+1.
Make sure that black vinyl sheath around the center core has been stripped back properly, so it doesn't touch the signal wire.
What do you mean exactly??

I stripped off the black sheath accordingly, but there's only so much that I can. Should I strip it back all the way to end where the cable is cut?

-Joe

LavaMan

Steps:

1. Strip outer jacket back about 1/2"

2. Use fingers to twist braid underneath (Mogami is spiral shield)

3. Strip black layer back 3/8" exposing white layer (dielectric)

4. Stip white layer starting 1/16" in front of black layer exposing center conductor

5. Tin center conductor with solder and snip so its about 1/8" long

6. Cut twisted braid underneath right about where balck and white layer meet

7. Use two vise's put plug in one and cable in the other

8. Insert cable in plug with center condcutor in cup and braid underneath

9. Solder - ensure it is shiney when done and inner black layer does not come in contact with center conductor

10. Break tab off of plastic chuck and assemble housing and boot

11. Repeat on other side

JDavisNJ

Steps:

1. Strip outer jacket back about 1/2"

2. Use fingers to twist braid underneath (Mogami is spiral shield)

3. Strip black layer back 3/8" exposing white layer (dielectric)

4. Stip white layer starting 1/16" in front of black layer exposing center conductor

5. Tin center conductor with solder and snip so its about 1/8" long

6. Cut twisted braid underneath right about where balck and white layer meet

7. Use two vise's put plug in one and cable in the other

8. Insert cable in plug with center condcutor in cup and braid underneath

9. Solder - ensure it is shiney when done and inner black layer does not come in contact with center conductor

10. Break tab off of plastic chuck and assemble housing and boot

11. Repeat on other side
Ah, the man speaks. :D Thanks so much for the reply man. I'm still quite an amateur at the cable making deal. I'm gonna cut the tips off and start fresh...

Any particular vices you recommend that make the job easier? I saw a youtube tutorial where a guy used a combo of gator clips and vices.

-Joe

LavaMan

Ah, the man speaks. :D Thanks so much for the reply man. I'm still quite an amateur at the cable making deal. I'm gonna cut the tips off and start fresh...

Any particular vices you recommend that make the job easier? I saw a youtube tutorial where a guy used a combo of gator clips and vices.

-Joe
Got to your local electronics store and get the small ones with rubber inserts and suction cups on the bottom...gator clips will work as well...

SkipTracer

What do you mean exactly??

I stripped off the black sheath accordingly, but there's only so much that I can. Should I strip it back all the way to end where the cable is cut?

-Joe
I guess LavaMan has pretty much covered this already (cf. points 3 and 9).

The black sheath is conductive and, obviously, it touches the braid that surrounds it. If it touches the signal wire, weird stuff will happen. (See below.) Just make sure you strip the black sheath enough so it looks similar to the picture you posted.

I screwed up myself recently when I rewired my board with Cordial cables that have a similar structure. Sure enough, I stripped the black stuff, not realising there was another layer underneath. Results: My TU-2 wouldn't switch properly and the volume pot on my Hot Cake suddenly had an effect when the pedal was off.

JDavisNJ

Ahhhh it all makes sense now... Need to keep some of the clear layer on there. Thanks gents, didn't even notice I was doing that before.

-Joe

Trending Topics