Question about stacking with Fuzz Face...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MBreinin, Oct 9, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I picked up a new Fuzz Face tonight. I find that if you put a pedal in front of it, it is not happy. It totally oversaturates, even if the pedal is turned off. By oversaturates, I mean the volume dips dramatically and it sounds like it is almost oscillating in and out. It is fine if it is the first pedal in line though. Is this normal behavior? I really don't know much about stacking pedals, but I always thought boosting a fuzz was supposed to be cool.

Also, I notice that this pedal sounds best with the guitar volume on about 8 or so. You can hear clearly where the pedal goes from singing to splatty. Is this normal as well?

Any assistance is appreciated!

Mike

2. Steven

Steven Member

Absolutely normal. A FF will sound strange if you put a pedal in front of it - and you really have the oppurtunity to get different sounds out of it by using the guitars volume and tone controls.

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

If you have high output humbuckers that could be why you feel the need to roll the volume back. But for me, stacking comes after the fuzz. I use a Beano and another clean boost at times to just boost the fuzz, as well as OD pedals and one distortion pedal. Another key is the amp, it should be running fairly hot -right at the breakup point!

4. MBreinin

OK, thanks! Yeah, the amps are running hot......plenty hot! The FF is cool, but I was expecting more fuzziness. It almost like a boost more than anything.

Mike

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

It all depends on some other stuff...

What kind of FF is it?

What is the other pedal being used in front that's giving you issues??

6. MBreinin

It is the brand new FF reissue JH-1, the blue one. I tried the following pedals in front of it:

Bad Monkey
    Modded SD-1
    Arteffect Zenith

It does not seem to like a pedal in front of it at all.

I have also used it with a wide variety of guitars and pickups, from a Tele with vintage style pickups to somewhat hot humbuckers (10k or so) and it does prefer to have the volume rolled back just a hair on all of them. You can go max if you like that splatty kind of loose breakup, but if you roll back a hair it gives you a nicely focused lead tone.

I though Eric Johnson stacked a TS with his FF? Does he stack the TS afterward? I was hoping to find that kind of tone with this....

Mike

7. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Fuzz needs to be first in line. Stack ODs after and keep the dirt relatively low. Keep your fuzz all the way up and adjust volume on guitar for shades of dirt. Crank your amp. Heaven.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

Sorry to butt in but, what about stacking 2 geranium fuzzes? I have a Sunlion on my board but I also have a Soul Bender.

9. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

:agree

10. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Although you can use dejavibe,chicago iron octavian before the fuzz.No real detriment to the fuzz tone.Any buffered pedal will kill the tone,sometimes on or off.They are awesome units though,but they take some getting used too.

11. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi yeah I stack a silicon fuzz with a germanium and get instant BOG drive. First the Dunlop (NKT275) and after that a Dunlop (BC109) great sound. Both Dunlop have been rebuild with NKT275 germanium (matched) and with BC109 Silicon (matched) trans. The Hartman SFZ has a germium side (NKT275) and a Silicon side (BC108) and you get great sounds by using them both.
    Peace Strat58