Question about Stock Pickups in Telecaster 62' Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by smogfalls, Aug 1, 2008.

1. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of buying a Japanese Fender Telecaster Custom '62 and have seen differing specifications lists. Some state that they come with special "Texas pickups" and other places say it comes with "Vintage Style Telecaster pickups".
    Anyone know which it is?
    Cheers,
    Xan :)

2. Chris T

Chris T Member

If it is one of the newer ones coming directly from a Japanese dealers most likely it will have the Texas Specials.

3. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

cool, how about 2007? Does this class as "newer"? Also, how different are the Texas Specials to the Old ones? Does anyone know?

4. Chris T

Chris T Member

You can see on this new one there is a decal on the plastic on the pickguard designating the pickups. Also somewhere in the model number will be the letters TX.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120287672639&ih=002&category=38083&_trksid=p3984.m106&_trkparms=algo%3DTS%26its%3DS%26itu%3DSS%252BSI%26otn%3D17%26ps%3D15&BackToListReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FMyEbayBeta

Older versions from the 80s and 90s did not have Texas Specials. They are easy to spot because they won't have cloth lead wires-they will be plastic.

I love the Texas Special in the neck. Very full tone. Hate the bridge-very harsh and spiky IMO but many love them so judge for your self. The older pickups were not very high output. I changed them in every one I ever owned. They don't suck but there are better choices.

5. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

excellent, thanks for the help. So you reckon if it is a 2007 it will have the Texas Specials in there? Also, where abouts exactly is the serial number?

6. Chris T

Chris T Member

If it is a 2007 with a CIJ before the serial number yeah it will have the Texas Specials. Serial number in on back of the neck near the body. But the TX appears in the model number which is only on the warranty card that comes with them new. If you take the control cover off and see black, white and yellow cloth wires coming from the pickups those are Texas Specials. The rest of the wires will be plastic covered black and white.

7. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

okay, thanks again Chris. I'll look into it and see if I can suss it out.
    Thanks again,
    Xan :)

8. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Ooo, found out the serial number... S078931
    What does that mean as far as the pickups go?

9. Chris T

Chris T Member

I am not up on what year that would designate. Best way is to look at the wires.

10. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

ahh, bad news for me! I just checked out the official Fender site for dating of their Japanese made guitars and it turns out that this serial means its from 1994-1995.
    Don't know why the guy selling it would say 2007 :confused:

11. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

so would you hold back on this cos it doesn't have the Texas Specials in? Or would you still go for it? I mean, are the Texas pups that much better?

12. Chris T

Chris T Member

Honestly the pickups in it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other unless I was just strapped for cash and wouldn't be able to replace them IF they sound bad. Whatever is in there might be fine. I like those guitars. I cannot recall a time in the past 15-20 years where I didn't have at least one of them laying around. If it is in good shape and the frets aren't worn out it can be made to sound good if it doesn't already. I put Fralin Blues Specials in mine. But you could put a set of Duncan 54 or Broadcaster pickups in there for less than $100 and it would have a good sound. I have played all stock versions that sounded fine to me.