Question about "Suhr" HSS wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by BlackStrat_Fan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Recently I decided to change things up a little with my Strat. I had the Suhr HSS wiring mod done adding a SD 78 in the bridge. When I picked the guitar up from my tech I tried it out quickly at his shop. I was quite pleased that the single coil strat sound was still there and the humbucker played nicely in the combo.

One of the things that I was pleased with was having tone control over the bridge HB, but what I discovered after getting home was that the neck single coil had no tone control. Basically the first tone control affected the neck/middle, middle and bridge split, and second tone control was bridge only.

I've been trying to go over this in my head - should the first tone control be a master tone for the single coils + the split? I'm not knowledgable when it comes to electronics, though I have looked at the schematic (that's floating around when you search this mod and I provided to him) and tried to figure out how the tone controls should work in this config. Basically I want to take it back and have him take a look at it, but I'd like to know what it is that needs correcting.

Anybody out there familiar with this mod able to help me out here? Plus, a quick breakdown of how the tone controls should work in this config.

Thanks!

http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/i...Full_2/0_0_d49279c29aa4070a78dfffea4ac4fd26_1

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

Yeah, he didn't wire it right. From that drawing, look at the lower right-hand pole (bank of 1 through 5 lugs). Position 1 (full humbucker) is attached to the 500k/.22uf tone pot while everything else is attached to the 250k/.47uf tone pot, including the neck pickup.

3. cugel

cugel Member

yep not wired correctly. take it back to the tech and have him correct it (for free while you wait), then find a new tech

4. Uncle_Salty

Uncle_Salty Member

I had exactly the same problem. I took my Strat to a new tech and he fixed it while I watched. He told me that the Superswitch used in this mod is quite complicated and that it's easy to get the wiring backwards. I'm assuming your tech is also not very familiar with these switches - and doesn't check his work after he has finished.

5. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Yep, taking it back. He'll make it right - I've not lost confidence in him. It's a mistake we all should have caught. I was more wrapped up in how the HB sounded to notice. He's been stellar for years.

But just to clarify - the first tone is a master tone for N/NM/M/MB (split), and the second tone is for bridge only?

6. Uncle_Salty

Uncle_Salty Member

The way mine is set up, the first tone knob is for the neck and the second one is for the bridge. There's no tone on the middle pickup, which helps brighten up the middle-bridge position.

7. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

So was that per your request, or is one pickup left without tone control the result of this mod?

8. cardinal

cardinal Member

In the diagram you posted, the middle pickup uses the top tone control at all times.

9. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

What about the neck pickup? Does it use the top control as well? (according to the diagram)

10. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Cardinal, just re-read your first post. You confirmed that second tone - HB, all else linked to first tone. Guess I just wanted to double check before going back that the diagram is right, and he made the mistake.

Thanks!