Question about Suhr T -- Suhr experts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by halcyon, Apr 5, 2015.

1. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Hey all,

I picked up a used Suhr Pro Series T1 for a really great price not too long ago. It's one of these guys, with a maple board...

It's a wonderful-playing guitar, obviously, but I'm not quite won-over by the tone -- not yet, anyway. The Chrome T and Classic T pickups seem fairly hot and a bit compressed, with greater mid-emphasis than I associate with the ideal Telecaster tone in my head. They also seem a bit soft and squishy, and maybe sorta hollow?

What I'm wondering is... should I try swapping the pickups, or is the tone that I've described more inherent to the guitar itself? I really like the Fralin T-style pickups in particular. Would something like that get me closer to a vintage, scooped, twangy Telecaster tone? Or should I just cut my losses and sell the guitar in its original [mint] condition?

Thanks!

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I think those Suhr T pickups sound pretty traditional. In my experience, they are pretty sensitive to height adjustments, so play around with that.

At one point I was thinking about swapping out my Suhr pickups, but once i got the right setup, it was perfect. I wouldn't dream about changing them now.

Mine are not compressed at all, FWIW.

3. halcyon

Cool. Thanks for the input, dude! I should have mentioned in the OP that I've spent hours playing with the pickup height trying to find the sweet spot for me... with no luck. :-(

4. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

You say you bought it used... might want to check which pups, pots and caps are in there. Try swapping pot/cap values if the pups are, indeed, Suhr T pups.

5. halcyon

Hmm. I bought it from someone I know, personally, and he wouldn't pass it off as "mint" if it had been modified in some way. He bought it new, himself. And it does sound pretty much exactly like the one in the video above. I'm inclined to believe that they definitely are the stock Suhr pickups.

I suppose the pots would likely be 250 or 300k? Swapping for a 500k, particularly the volume pot, would likely have an impact, but I think I'd just as soon try replacing the pickups themselves if I'm going to open it up and make any modifications.

Thanks for the input, though!

6. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I have a Pro series T with a Rosewood Board. It's definitely a "rock" Tele as opposed to a "country" Tele. A little hotter and greasier. As stated, the pickups do respond well to fine height adjustments.

7. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Unscrew the control plate, pull it out and take pics. Send to Suhr, they could tell you if anything was modded.

8. halcyon

YEAH, "hotter and greasier" is a good way to describe it. That's what I'm wondering about... Is it primarily a function of the pickups or the whole guitar?

Thanks!

9. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

I assume they all rub some people the wrong way at some point given how many I see used for sale.

10. wharris

wharris Member

My take away from this thread: Greg Koch is a Freak of Nature!

11. halcyon

Well that's certainly true! :)

12. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

Sweet troll soggy bottom

13. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I'm no expert but just got my first Suhr T - I really like it. Mine is a Classic Pro T in butterscotch blonde with a blackguard and maple neck. It sounds pretty traditional to me, and it has the SSC so I can actually use it at rehearsal without a ton of hum.

I've had other teles, I like this the best of any I've had - next best was a Rice tele, I really should have kept that one...

14. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Whenever I start to think I'm getting pretty good on the guitar I go watch Greg. Perspective is a good thing.

15. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Something I noticed with mine and with most Suhr guitars is that the quality of construction sometimes provides more sustain, clarity, and string separation than the Fender versions of the guitars being emulated. Is that better? Not necessarily.

Pickups would certainly have an impact, but the Suhr "thing" is a little bit more hi-fi than some people care for. I like it in the case of my Tele, but I prefer my Strat to be more vintage flavored so I am sticking with a Fender.

16. halcyon

Yup, good theory; I'd buy that. Thanks!