Question About Suhr's Models

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dr. Strangelove, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove Member

Does anyone know if Suhr offers or ever has offered something similar to a hybrid between their Modern and Classic? I've been looking at doing my own hand-made clone of a Charvel Guthrie Govan signature model but with a Suhr neck joint, their .800"-.850" neck carve, and their headstock shape (along with some other minor adjustments like a recessed Wilkinson bridge, a set of ReWind pickups, and a few other minor changes to the electronics), but having everything laid out has me curious as to whether or not Suhr has ever done anything like this. I prefer the look and feeling of the somewhat more traditional Strat type body style like the Charvel has (especially because it's shrunken down a bit to help with upper fret access), but I've long loved the feeling of the Suhr Modern neck and neck joint, and I much, much prefer their headstock shape (superficial, I know), so I think that if there were other players who felt similarly and voiced such an opinion to them, maybe they could do a line of "Modern Classics," if you will, that keep the more traditional look but still utilize more modern features and playability (i.e. an all-access style neck heel, modern neck carve, six or two point trems, 22 and 24 fret options, etc.), while also offering both modern and traditional pickup and electronics layouts (anything from HSH with a 2 control layout to SSS with a 3 control layout). I think a model or line like this would really appeal to a lot of players and sell quite well. I would personally buy something along these lines if it was offered, as I do love Suhr guitars and their pretty much perfect quality, and I would be really proud to own something like this since Suhr is personally one of my two favorite brands (alongside PRS), but the Modern body shape has never been one I've totally loved as much as I have a traditional Strat type shape. Would this be an unrealistic style guitar to offer, especially given that offer both Modern and Classic models separately, and the Standard accomplishes a bit of what I'm after (to an extent)? Perhaps this is something their custom shop could do/ currently does and I just don't know about it? Am I just thinking too wishfully?

2. stratamania

stratamania Member

So you are essentially saying does Suhr offer a 24 fret option on a Classic S body with the Modern style heel joint?

I am not aware of it being offered... The nearest thing would be the 24 Fret T or Andy Wood Signature. But those are T Style models.

beorn, Dr. Strangelove and Crash-VR like this.
  3. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove Member

Yeah that's basically the gist of what I was getting at. That is a bit disappointing to hear, but at least it gives me an excuse to go through with my build (and probably save a bit of cash along the way). Thanks for the info!

4. stratamania

stratamania Member

I don't know if it has never been done, just not aware of it. And apparently, it took Andy Wood, a bit of time to get a 24 fret T.

Enjoy your build and put up a build thread, they are always fun.

Dr. Strangelove likes this.
  5. beorn

beorn Member

Not at all. What you wrote here sounds like it was coming from me:
    Which is why I tried some time ago to get Suhr to consider doing the Modern neck joint on a Standard body and was told that they had already done everything necessary with the heel to satisfy players on a Standard... even though there I was, a player, asking for a new thing. Just as you are, today. A 24-fret option would be logical, too.

It's also a curious thing that as far as I know, Suhr has never offered set neck for Standards -- only for Moderns.
    They also don't seem to want to do four knobs for a two-humbucker guitar, even though it's such a logical thing to want. The Peter Thorn signature, for instance, would profit from four knobs.

Imagine a Peter Thorn with four knobs and a set neck and there you have a guitar many of us would find interesting, I bet.

6. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It couldn’t be a classic and have 24 frets. The neck joint changes the shape. IMO the classic S shape is what it is and any modifications to that like set neck or 24 fret just seem wrong to me and will change the tone by moving the neck pickup. Ok for something new but not traditional, kind of like putting no pickguard on a full classic with binding eapecually just seems off to me.

willyboy and Dr. Strangelove like this.
  7. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove Member

A response from the man himself! Probably a rather awkward place for such an interaction, but I would like to say that I'm quite a big fan of your guitars and have never once played one that's felt anything less than perfect. I consider them to be the golden standard for any F-type guitars or offshoots thereof.

What you bring up is definitely a good point. I think my biggest concern was that I always preferred the look of an S-type body with the rounder edges and more traditional shape overall compared to the generally less-rounded, sharper, less traditional look of most Super Strats (though the Modern definitely looks better than most), but I also have an affinity for those rather obnoxious last few frets and being able to play them, even with the shifting of the neck pickup and tonal change that comes with it, along with the rear-routed HSH style setup of most Super Strats. I mentioned in my original post that in the build I'm looking at doing I'm basing the body off of Guthrie Govan's newer signature Charvel, as I feel it is a good blend of that more traditional look with more modern playability since it's a little bit smaller overall and has deeper cutaways that make upper fret access more comfortable, especially with 24 frets, but I've always preferred the neck shape, joint, and more or less everything else about your Modern series guitars, so the idea of hybridizing the general body shape of the Charvel with everything else of your creation really seems like the perfect Super Strat style guitar for me. I absolutely understand the sentiment behind keeping the traditional and modern style guitars separate though.

8. stratamania

stratamania Member

Thanks, John, yes I see exactly what you are saying. I guess I should have said in my pracy of what the OP was asking "a shape closer to a classic S shape but adapted for 24 frets etc".

Personally, I like the Modern shape for a 24 fret instrument.

9. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

IIRC, the Modern heel can't be offered on the Standard (can't remember why but I'm pretty sure I read this reply from John a long time ago), so I knew that ship had sailed.. BUT a set-neck Standard. YES, PLEASE!

10. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

If we're putting in requests.... Modern Set Net Archtop with chunkier neck profile would be top of my current list.

11. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

You can order a set neck carved top Modern. They also offer .820 neck depth, although that’s still not exactly chunky. My wish list would be a Modern with the even C medium carve, which is one of my favorites. I’m more than happy with my 3 Moderns as they are though.

12. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

You're right. But I want an archtop in a similar vein to the Standard Archtop (i.e. (semi/mostly/partly) hollow) but in Modern form with the double octave neck etc. I tried the elliptical necks and I just didn't feel compelled to hold them like I do with a bigger, more C shaped neck. I was ready to buy a Modern set neck carve top a few years ago but the neck shape proved to be the killer for me and I've gone in a few other different directions since. My dream Suhr always seems to be a few steps out of reach but hopefully one day sooner rather than later I'll find one!

Dr. Strangelove and redgold like this.