• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question about the 57 Classics

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
Well I am a die hard lover of the Gibson 57 Classic pickups. I have them in my LP CLassic chambered and an ES 333. My question is, are they wound the same or is there some variation in the output of these like the original PAF's. I ask because it is unbeleivable how different they sound not only from my 333 to my LP but even the neck and bridge pickup on each guitar. It seams like in mu 333 the bridge is hotter than the neck and in my LP the two are closer in output. Please note I have only 57 Classics in each and not the 57+. And yes i do have the pickups heights adjusted the same.

Maybe we can get a good discusion going about these pickups.

jamison162

Can you list the dc of all 4 pickups? Do they all have covers?
What pots are in the guitars, all 500k or all 300k, mixed, etc?
All of this would matter to answer/discuss your specific questions.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
I asked this exact question a few days ago with very little response, good luck!

billstets

I have read that they vary, and like the original PAFs, there is no neck or bridge pickup. They're interchangeable. I have them in my '61 RI SG and IIRC the neck actually has a slightly higher DC reistance than the bridge. Whereas the Burstbucker in the bridge position of my R8 is a little hotter than the neck. FWIW I like both 57s and BBs, even though they're regularly trashed on here.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
57 classics are consistent. Gibson came up with the Burstbucker 1,2,3,pro thing to replicate the inconsistent wiring with the original PAFs.

I would expect quite a different sound between a 333 and a LP. It would be disappointing if different body styles, sizes and shapes didn't contribute to the tone.

billstets

57 classics are consistent. Gibson came up with the Burstbucker 1,2,3,pro thing to replicate the inconsistent wiring with the original PAFs.

I would expect quite a different sound between a 333 and a LP. It would be disappointing if different body styles, sizes and shapes didn't contribute to the tone.
There was a thread somewhere a while back on 57s (LPF, here or somewhere, I can't recall) and people posted their DC resistance. There was some variation, from like mid 7s to mid 8s. Mine (in my SG) are both a little less than 8. This is where I read they varied, but there may have been errors in the readings.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
I am going to get the resistence checked by my local tech this weekend and report back. I guess its the nature of the two gutiars more thananything else. I guess I just noticed succh a difference between the bridge and neck as compared with both guitars. In other words, the difference between the brideg and neck on the LP is less exagereted than the difference in sound between the bridge and neck onthe LP.

Trending Topics