• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Question about The Doors "Break On Through".

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Gold Supporting Member
Not being old enough to have heard the original release, I always thought that the middle part where Morrison says "She get..." was the way it was supposed to be until I heard the it as intended ("She get high."). What I'm wondering is if the original album had "She get high." and the radio version was edited or did the original release contain the edit as well? Thanks.

RocksOff

It got edited out right away, I have heard. The unedited version and the full version of The End though leaked out and have been heard in various places. "The End", for example, appears in its extended format on the movie 'Apocalypse Now'.

chucke99

"Apocalypse Now" is basically the music video for the song "The End". ;)

As far as "She gets..." I don't remember hearing it in the album version back in the day (1970s, so already almost 10 years from the original release) so my guess is that the other members of the Doors had them remix the song from the original tracks at some later point (maybe for a special CD re-release).

azgolfer

There is a video on making of that record. He sings 'She gets high', rather than 'She gets' multiple times. Ray Manzarek talks about it. Excellent video, as are the ones on Joshua Tree and especially Aja. Very cool when they play the original tapes on the mixing board.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I never heard the unedited version until I got the Perception box set a few years ago. What's weird is that I conceptually hate edits on principal, but after 30 years of hearing the edited version, the unedited one sounds kind of weird to me. Go figure....

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
I never heard the unedited version until I got the Perception box set a few years ago. What's weird is that I conceptually hate edits on principal, but after 30 years of hearing the edited version, the unedited one sounds kind of weird to me. Go figure....
I've never heard the unedited version. I have a funny feeling that if I heard it, my reaction would be similar to yours.

Haven't had a Doors jag in a while, fall is coming. I think I'm due.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I've never heard the unedited version. I have a funny feeling that if I heard it, my reaction would be similar to yours.

Haven't had a Doors jag in a while, fall is coming. I think I'm due.
The Doors music is the PERFECT soundtrack for Fall. This is one band I never get tired of.

frostyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnook

+ 1

I love the radio version. The edit is not a suprise considering Morrison couldn't say "Higher" on Sullivan.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, that VH-1 'Making of..." series is pretty fun. I particularly dug the Doors one.
This is Classic Albums, right? I honestly have not seen one that I did not enjoy, even if I am not especially a fan of the band or music.

sixty2strat

heard it the other day and did not not like it, musically it seems to build tension to me that is then resolved. She gets is far cooler IMO......We know what he means but THEY don't. seems far more witty subtle then just saying it right out. very much in the Blues tradition of saying the unsayable by metaphor and inuendo.

russ6100

I just watched a YouTube clip of "The End" from The Doors VH1 Storytellers concert. Who is this guy singing? I saw other clips of the same show with Scott Weiland, Ian Astburry, etc.. but I think this guy did a great job.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
The unedited version of 'Break On Through' was never officially released.

mike shaw

That was pretty good except I didn't like the singers phrasing - too rushed.

Has anyone else noticed how much Robby Krieger looks like that banjo playing kid in Deliverance?

Cymbaline

The original had just the "She gets". The record company didn't want them encouraging people to get high. At least not yet in 1967.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom