Question about the GT Fat Finger

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Uchison, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Uchison

Uchison Supporting Member

They say on their website that this device will "adds tone, sustain, and overall tone balance." Has anybody exeperienced this? Really really curious as I could get this as a lte X-mas present....so all input is welcome.:)

2. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I have one. It does just what they say, fattens up the midrange response, and evens out the overall response. It might add sustain, I did not notice that so much as the beefed up midrange. Be careful that you don't over tighten it, because the rubber pads can become unglued and mark your guitar. The weight balance change is minimal.

I only have 1 guitar with which I feel the need for this. I find it is different from messing with the amp's tone controls or an eq, but not necessarily better, your ears will decide.

gb

3. shigihara

shigihara Member

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have one on my Fender Strat and my Squier Bullet. I like the sustain enhancement. It's a HUGE improvement for the Squier.

I also have the original GT FatHead on my Les Paul Custom. This is the "play a note, go out for a bite, it's still sustaining" guitar. I wish they still made these, I want one for my Special too.

[​IMG]

5. alguit

alguit Guest

The Fatfinger works great, and it DOES add sustain-the increased headstock mass and the nature of brass do the trick! Also, as noted above, midrange will thicken a bit.

It's a workable alternative to those brass nuts and bridges that cost me so much back in the 80's!

6. Uchison

Guys, thanx very much for the replies. I will order one today!! One question tough. Is there any sonical difference between the 2 versions? That's the ;ast thing I need to know before I go and order that damn thingy :BOUNCE .

7. Gary Brennan

I thought the 2 versions were sized for either guitar or bass- different amounts of mass. If thats it, the bass one's mass is probably too much for a guitar's balance when wearing it.

I can't imagine what a LP with a fathead would feel like after a couple of sets.

gb

8. Uchison

Well there's this one: "For guitar. Clear coated brass." or this one: "For guitar. Chrome plated brass."
    I am wondering if if there's any difference in the sound. As with the George L's plugs there's a big sound difference. So maybe here as well. Anybody?

9. Gary Brennan

I imagine that the chrome one ages better compared to unplated brass. The plating mass is likely insignificant. GT will respond if you email them. Mine's chrome.

gb

10. Uchison

I should be receiving the Fat Finger tomorow. Really curious. I'll post my findings. Thanx for the great input.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I love my fatfinger and I never take it off. It's one of those things that you can't really hear the difference until you play it a little bit and then take it off. Really beefs up your tone as well.

12. Uchison

Ahh Melodic Dreamer you make me even more curious. As I understand from you it's not a Huge difference tough...
    I ordered one to start with, but if I like it I will order a couple more for my other guitars..

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

They definately work. The added mass "deadens" the wood and stops it from absorbing string vibrations adding more sustain. You can even get the same affect by putting one of those spring loded capos on the end of the headstock!

14. Uchison

Ahhh finally received the fat finger. Rehearsed with it as well. What a BIG difference, I LIKE it. :dude

15. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

where did you order it?

16. tfire

tfire Member

Anyone else remember the supposed tone enhancing properties of brass nuts, bridges, bridge sustain blocks etc. that were all the rage in the 70s, but are no longer seen on guitars in the 00s?

Is this device similar?

17. Uchison

at musictoyz.

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

They really do fatten a guitar tone up...
    However, on some guitars it can be too much ...
    so it varies from ax to ax...
    Know many Bass Players who swear by them....