Question About the Klon Into The Carr Rambler

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Ken

Ken Member

For those of you who have the Carr Rambler and have used, or are using the Klon with the Rambler I have a question.

Much of my overdrive tone for the music I play goes from clean to overdrive, no cranking the amp to where the tubes are cooking and on the edge of breaking up etc.

Does the Klon give its signature OD tone through the Rambler without having to crank the volume up on the amp?

In other words can I go from clean to mean using the Klon into the Rambler by just engaging the overdrive.

Thanks

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Ken,
    IME...yes.
    (but you knew that, I think ;) ).
    s>
    j

3. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Rambler and have used a Klon with it. You should have no issues getting a great tone with a Klon at "home playing" levels. The pedal does a great job with this amp. I use S/C's and buckers.

They make a great pair, The Rambler is my pedal report card amp.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

IMHO, a Klon into almost any amp sounds great.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I'd look at the Blues Boy Deluxe, HAO Rumble Mod or Honey Bee to serve your needs. The Klon's OD tone is best served at bigger volumes and the clean boost needs the tubes cooking. Otherwise I think it will sound fizzy and middy.

6. Ken

Ken Member

Sanhozay,

Have you tried the Klon into the Rambler? Is that what you found??

7. Dana

Dana Guest

I may have tin ears, but here goes.

From my own experience, I've had better luck getting a nice warm overdriven tone at home with a BJF Honey Bee into the Rambler. I tried using the HB on a couple gigs, but it didn't suit my needs as well. It sounded distant regardless of how I set it.

If you're playing out I'd suggest the Klon into the Rambler. I've found it to be a great combination as long as you can get the volume of the amp at least into the 3-4 range and above.

YMMV

8. Ken

Ken Member

Anyone ever try the Eternity with the Rambler?

9. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

That's all I used for a long time. I just sold my Rambler to go amp hunting and try other things. But Klon&Rambler is an awesome combo and very easy to get a big sound - but it requires more than bedroom style volume, or at least I think so. The Rambler has a great volume sweep and gets thicker as it goes, but not always louder. I liked getting it to grind a bit then hitting the Klon for a clean, fat boost. SOUNDS HUGE! This is a cool thing to do on the triode side for a close Tweed Deluxe tone.

11. adirondack

adirondack Guest

the anwers is yes. while the primary use of the klon is into the rambler (or any good tube amp) at 12 o'clock or more, i get some great sounds playing at home with the the gain on the klon up, and the rambler at 9 o'clock. you can then work the volume knob on the guitar to get your tonal variations. one thing i notice on the klon is that even with the pedal gain up high, you still get the clarity & character of the pickups - front, back or both. most overdrive pedals bury the sonic character of the pickups. i also have an ac and rc booster. but mostly i just use the klon as it covers both of these pedals and adds it's own special (some would say fat) colour. p.s. - for roots rock, blues and country stuff, the rambler on triode setting with the volume all the way up doesn't need any pedals. nothing like a rambler.

12. miles.d

miles.d Member

Try a SWELL G-TOD with the Rambler. Two gain stages and sounds more like switching channels than adding a overdrive. Gain can be set from mild overdrive to full blown distortion and the pedal is dead quiet.