Question about the Suhr Reactive Load

newb3fan

I just received mine yesterday and will be running it this weekend. For those that have one or simply know the answer - Is there a particular reason why I would want to use the "balanced" versus "unbalanced" output to connect to my audio interface? Obviously it's a 1/4" cable versus a mic cable. But what's going on electronically and why one versus the other?

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
Balanced cabling reduces (common-mode) noise. If you're just using a 10' guitar cable from the SRL to your interface, you may not notice it, but it's a necessity if you're running a 25' or longer line, say from an iso booth to a control room. Here's a nice write-up on the why's and how's of balanced vs. unbalanced by Presonus. Hopefully it will provide some insight.

Husky

I just received mine yesterday and will be running it this weekend. For those that have one or simply know the answer - Is there a particular reason why I would want to use the "balanced" versus "unbalanced" output to connect to my audio interface? Obviously it's a 1/4" cable versus a mic cable. But what's going on electronically and why one versus the other?
No reason unless you have a very long run.
It all depends on the interface, do not use a Mic setting on the interface, On my Apogee Duet for instance you should use the instrument selection in Maestro and 1/4"

newb3fan

John thanks a lot. I have an Apogee Duet as well and have switched to using a 1/4" and the instrument selection. Making some very nice guitar tones with it now. Love the product already for its simplicity!

newb3fan

I might have snagged one of the last ones from the last build from a shop in San Antonio through reverb.com.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom