question about tone and volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rosscrudos, Apr 1, 2015.

1. rosscrudos

rosscrudos Member

Hi,

I'm very new to this so please forgive me if this is a daft question.

So, I recently bought a 70's Kustom guitar head (125 watts, 4 ohms) and I have a Crate v212b cabinet. I swapped out the speakers and put in 2 carr kingpin speakers (8 ohms). I wired them in parallel to match the 4 ohm head. Here's the problem, it's incredibly loud! I'm worried my tone will now be too harsh (I haven't played with the rest of my band yet). Will I get a different tone, if I wired the speakers in series?

I play jangly indie pop stuff.

Any tips or comments would be appreciated :)

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Can your amp take a 16 ohm load?

Is it tube or solid state? If it's solid state, it will put out less power into 16 ohms. Tube will be the same.

I wouldn't expect a significant difference in tone.

Doesn't it have a volume knob?

3. rosscrudos

rosscrudos Member

It's a solid state amp.

haha it does have a volume knob, but the tone seems harsh when I start to turn up. I was simply wondering if the head put out less power (into 16 ohms) if that would change the sound. It sounds like it doesn't. It seems like it was a daft question :)

Thanks for the reply

4. Phletch

Phletch Member

Why did you swap the speakers in your cab? Was it harsh before the swap?

5. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Often new speakers sound 'harsh' before they are broken in. If these are new speakers, give them around 50+/- hours of playing reasonably loud before passing final judgment. Also, if the new speakers have a significantly higher sensitivity, they'll be louder at the same setting.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

As they said, if it's harsh when you turn it up, it's likely the speaker. Solid state amps should be pretty consistent at any volume.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

You ought to just try it with the band. It could be the speakers, as others have mentioned, but depending on what kind of "harsh" sound....VERY often things that sound harsh at home can sound just right in a band mix.

I run into this all the time, often the sound that sound great at home get eaten up in the mix....a certain harshness at home can translate to a nice rounded full sound. It worth a shot anyway.

8. rosscrudos

rosscrudos Member

Thanks for the replies. I think, as SBB said, I should try it with the band. It's a totally new set up for me, and to be honest I think I got a bit freaked out by how loud it was!

9. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Perhaps the problem is this...

Solid-State amps in the 70's weren't exactly known for their killer tone...

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Let us know how it goes when you have tried it with the band!

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

:agree

I had a Kustom 200 back in the day and yes, it was loud as hell. Great for outdoor gigs, but "tone" was not its forte.

If you're concerned about tone I'd consider a different head. The Kustoms look cool but you'll never get anything other than a very solid state sounding clean tone out of it.

12. rosscrudos

rosscrudos Member

Ok, I think I may have solved the problem. I originally had my cab wired in parallel to match the head (4 ohms), it was stupid how loud it was, but I also found that even with the volume at 1 if I hit a chord hard it would distort. I thought that this might be due to too much power going into the speakers. So, I rewired in series, and that seems to have calmed everything down (My head is 125 watts and the speakers only 60 watts each)

The sound is still loud, but it now gradually gets louder rather than just blow your head off straight away like before. The tone isn't great (as a lot of you have said) but I'm hoping that with a few pedals, that I might be able to get a nice tone out of it.

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Turn your amp up and back off on your guitar volume. I actually run mine about half way up and turn up the gain in the box or amp.

14. CosbyTron

CosbyTron Member

I may be remembering this wrong, but I think speakers have a greater dynamic range at high power/lower ohms. Meaning, a 4ohm speaker would ideally be run at 4 ohms. At least, that's the logic given me in the past when I've been advised to push my PA speakers a little harder. In practice, I'm not sure you'd ever notice. I think all of my guitar cabs are 8 or 16ohms.

15. buzzp

buzzp Member

I don't want to be that guy, but IME, you can't fix an amp with pedals. You can change the way it sounds, but it won't fix it.

16. rosscrudos

rosscrudos Member

I agree, but when on a budget, you do the best with what you've got