question about treble booster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adelphi710, Feb 23, 2006.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i'm pretty torn, i can only fit one boost/fuzz/drive pedal on my pedal board and i'm not sure what to go with. i have a hayseed 30 2x12 combo, so it pretty much nails that ac30 tone. its definitely a bright amp w/ my tele, especially through the top boost. will i be able to use the treble booster on the top boost channel, or will it be too bright? i'm not sure what tone i'm going for exactly, as my tastes are all over the place. all i know is that i want it to sound vintage, beatlesque/queenish/etc. i hate mud, so something that retains clarity. i've check out the bluesberry hotcake, treble boosters, different fuzzes. any advice is appreciated!

2. erksin

erksin Member

Maybe a Hellbilly? It'll do fuzz/od/treble booster tones with a twist of the tone knob.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

You want a treble booster. But you want one that can do the mid boost thing with your Vox-type amp. In other words, one of the many treble boosters you see today with a two or three way selector. Analogman, Toneman, Keeley Java (and a couple of others) will all get the job done.

4. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Maybe a good clean boost. The HBE unoMOS or dosMOS. chili picaso maybe. Maybe just a plain old MXR microamp. I think your options are almost limitless.

Scott

5. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

anyone have experience w/ the HBE germania 44?

6. plain-boy

plain-boy Member

Although I haven't tried it yet. The BYOC Tri-booster is probably you best bet. Three different boosts in one small sized pedal.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

Analog Man Sunlion! NKT275 fuzz and a NKT275 treble booster in one!

8. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

BSM makes some excellent stuff.
    www.treblebooster.net

I use the BSM ORange, and its a pretty killer little box. The HS and RM also get great reviews with some other guys on the forum. You can hear some clips at www.soundclick.com/randotones if you want to check it out. I used it with my Bogner Metropolis, which might be in the AC30 neighborhood.

Randy

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

Nice. I forgot about that one. I think the tone control is a great addition for some of these pedals. I always thought being able to fine tune the treble on my Java Boost was key to making it sound great with lots of equipment.

11. Cottage

Cottage Member

I've got an HBE Germania that I use with an AC30. It works best in the Normal channel, however. Top Boost is just too bright. An interesting sound, however, I prefer the Barber DD, its a bit more useful.

12. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

/13 DynaRanger: 5 tone-settings ranging from treble-boost to full-range. One of my fave pedals.

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanx for that link, Wayne!

Best, Pete.

14. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

nice clips!!!!!!!

15. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

+1, great versatility of tone in that pedal.

16. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Thanks for the word!
    Always a pleasure!

Randy

17. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

+ on the Hellbilly - Just got one of the last ones from Bob a couple weeks ago (even though he is getting ready to repackage them with a different name/graphics at Pedalworx). This pedal has a lot of different tones/uses - big clean boost, Rangermaster Deluxe, killer fuzz (very Jimi/Trower with a Univibe and/or wah!!!), and everything in between. (obviously I'm still geeking out on it!! :p )

-Mark

18. playon

playon Supporting Member

+1 on the DynaRanger... killer pedal.

19. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I think we should start a DynaRanger fanclub !

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Sounds like you should try a Hellbilly (which is going to be made again through Pedalworx sometime if I am not mistaken? maybe not, though I read about Bob making the Hellbilly and Hellbaby again)...

It's a germanium->silicon circuit with tone, gain and volume knobs. The tone knob, when all the way to the left, creates a fuzz face like sound. Turning it all the way to the right makes a Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster sound. You can dial in however much gain you want from none, some to lots. The settings in between the two extremes of the tone knob all sound great and it's a really fun pedal to play with... Plus, if you are limited in space for the pedal, it's small and can cover fuzz/treble boost/clean boost/dirty boost territories. Good luck finding one right now, but read some of the reviews... probably can't find the clips anywhere since it's not in production from Tone Factor right now, but I think Bob is going to have Pedalworx come out with the pedals...

I wouldn't claim that it could do the treble booster thing really, but if you have a class A amp, you really should also try a hotcake. I had one for years and recently sold it (to shuffle the $$$ around temporarily, it will eventually be back on my board in the Bluesberry form...