Question about Tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mvilland, Oct 12, 2005.

1. mvilland

mvilland Guest

Hello,

What tubes give a dirty tube distorted sound, 12AX7 or EL84? Is there a brand that is better than others?

Thanks

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I don't think I would describe either of those players tones as dirty distorted.A 12AX7 is a preamp tube and EL84's are power tubes so your comparing apples and oranges to begin with.
    There are many variables that give players their sound such as amps, guitars ,style and fingers.I would put all of these above what brand of tubes they used.I don't think you'll emulate anyone by using a certain tube.

3. thintele

thintele Member

As Tonezone stated these tubes are " apple and oranges" ...
    If your amp is a master volume amp I would start by looking at the preamp tubes(12ax7) to get more gain. Chinese versions typically are pretty gainy. EI Yugoslav are as well. Keep in mind these higher gain tube may be more prone to microphonics ...
    The EL84 power tubes will break up, but only if the amp is loud enough to push them into clipping. I personally like the JJ EL84s tone. but the Soveteks seem to break up earlier...
    We could also get into the whole NOS tube debate but these tend to be hit and miss, as alot them have been picked through...But if you are gonna go that route go through a reputable dealer who sorts through them and tests them (like Mike at KCA) so you get what you pay for.

4. raz

raz Member

The EL84's are power tubes, and even pushed to the wall won't give you what I think you mean by "dirty tube distorted sound."

"Dirty distortion" comes from the preamp tubes, in most amps these are 12AX7's.

The 12AX7's I'm currently enthralled with are the JJ ECC83s's. They're a high gain tube, but not so prone to microphonics.

5. thintele

thintele Member

I also like the sound of the JJ 12ax7s and use them as well. It is a low noise, durable tube ... but not considered a higher gain tube.