Question about tuner...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr. Tone, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Mr. Tone

Mr. Tone Member

Hi everybody ;)

I was just thinking about that,

Can somedy tell me what's the difference between a tuner like a KORG GA-40 (what I have presently) AND a BOSS TU-2.

What's the diffenrence between these two tuner , if it's ONLY for standard tuning?

(Please don't tell me the difference between the KORG and another tuner, I want to know the difference between these two tuner)

Thank you!

PS I have this question because I see that everybody seem to like a tuner pedal instead of a normal tuner. Doesn't it kill tone for nothing?

Mr. Tone

2. jacob.seads

jacob.seads Member

Well I would guess i few things
    1. Accuracy. A little Korg tuner wouldn't be that accurate
    2. output. that korg tuner has no output and therefor in order to use it, players would need to unplug from the rest of their effects/amp just to tune.
    3. Speed. Most modern tuners like the boss, poly, turbo are a lot faster
    4. Durability. The little plastic korg will break easy, while its almost impossible to break a boss tu2 (or poly, turbo, et...)
    5. Visibility. Boss (and others) can be read from standing up or distance while that korg needs to be up close to read
    6. Mute. While engaged Boss cuts out signal for silent tuning

3. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well a tuner pedal doesn't necessarily kill tone. Some folks disagree but I think the Tu2 buffer is fine. I don't use that tuner anymore but if you want a buffer and accessory power, the TU2 gives you that. You also can tune in a noisy room. You can tune silently. You can mute the signal for swapping guitars or some other reason -- all very useful at a rehearsal or on a gig.

4. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

The reason most like pedal tuners is because you can keep your guitar plugged into your amp and tune quickly, usually before sets and sometimes between songs. The Korg GA-40 and Boss TU-2 will both get you in tune, there is no doubt about it. The Boss would typically be preferred, though, because of how much easier it makes everything. Most tuners don't really affect tone, it should be noted that the TU-2 has a buffer in it. This isn't bad like some people will say. When you click on the TU-2, you have the option of muting the signal to the amp for silent tunings.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I have had the same TU2 on my board for years. It is a great buffer and very convenient, for all the reasons already mentioned. The only thing I dislike about it is the LEDs don't show up that well in sunlight. I believe the TU3 rectified that issue.

6. bobwl

bobwl Member

While everything else you said is fine, these are actually incorrect. The Korg GA-40 is accurate to +/- 1 cent, the TU-2 is +/- 3 cents. The TU-3 however is accurate to +/- 1 cent. Also the GA-40 tunes just as fast if not faster than the TU-2.

7. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Fair enough, but I don't know why the OP would even consider the TU-2. Like you said, it's really inaccurate, buffered (which isn't too terrible), and expensive, relative to its accuracy. The Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, on the other hand, is a bit more expensive, but it's accurate to +/- 0.02 cents and it's like the fastest tuner known to mankind. I know the OP said he doesn't want to hear about other tuners, but he should really consider the Turbo Tuner.

8. bobwl

bobwl Member

I didn't want to go there since the OP said he just wanted to hear about those two particular pedals. Personally I think most every pedal tuner is better than the TU-2. Sonic Research being one of the best out there, especially for the price.

9. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, the only tuner worth recommending.

:hide

10. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

:agree

This is coming from a guy who currently has a Polytune, btw.

11. chervokas

chervokas Member

+1, on the turbo tuner