• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question about uploading songs

89strat

I'm working on a myspace page for my cover band. Myspace will not allow uploading cover tunes of other artists. Does anybody know a way around this? Can I link to an outside site to play the songs, and if so, what site can I post up music clips and/or maybe video. More importantly though, is music.

StompBoxBlues

I don't think there is a way around this. Even if you got tricky and renamed the titles to some weird obscure thing, after a short time you'd be discovered and barred, or reprimanded.

The problem is, if you want to post covers you have to pay the songwriter for the use of their song. Google "Harry Fox Agency" and you'll see.

I don't know, but doubt it would help to pay for being able to do this, because I would bet Myspace doesn't want to get into the position of having to check if covers are legally paid for. Even "offsite" versions, are actually illegal if not paid for.

So, basically, no..no way around it, and unless you have some original songs to put up there I think you will have to do without.

89strat

I don't think there is a way around this. Even if you got tricky and renamed the titles to some weird obscure thing, after a short time you'd be discovered and barred, or reprimanded.

The problem is, if you want to post covers you have to pay the songwriter for the use of their song. Google "Harry Fox Agency" and you'll see.

I don't know, but doubt it would help to pay for being able to do this, because I would bet Myspace doesn't want to get into the position of having to check if covers are legally paid for. Even "offsite" versions, are actually illegal if not paid for.

So, basically, no..no way around it, and unless you have some original songs to put up there I think you will have to do without.
How does youtube get away with it? If you type in a band you're likely to get as many covers as you are of the original band. I fully understand though, just looking to acomodate bookings with places that ask for links to our site.

StompBoxBlues

How does youtube get away with it? If you type in a band you're likely to get as many covers as you are of the original band. I fully understand though, just looking to acomodate bookings with places that ask for links to our site.
Sorry...I have no idea. Maybe they paid and Youtube checks and allows covers. Maybe it is just before the hammer comes down. Maybe folks signed to record companies pay for a general license (I think they offer these, I mean, as a cover band, legally the bar has to buy a mechanical license that covers all the cover bands song choices...they can't do it on a song-by-song basis so bars buy a general license that I have no idea how but splits the money collected among artists...mayb beatles get higher percent than Flaming Lips, I'm no expert).

I just know, sites are not willing to risk copyright infringement suits, so most of them decide not to even deal with it at all.

Maybe someone else can answer what Youtube policy lets bands play covers?

es125luv

I heard as of late that Youtube now auto-scans for copyright material. many videos have been disappearing lately.

Trending Topics