1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Velcros

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ripoffriffs, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Question about Velcros: how do you describe (or label) the 2 sides of velcro when you are talking to someone about it? I've heard Loops and Hooks. But which one is which? Which label goes to the soft furry side and which label goes to the hard plastic fur side?

By the way, I prefer to have the board surface with the hard plastic fur side of velcro. Why does everone else use the soft furry side for the surface of the board?

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

Soft side is loop, plastic side is hook. Not everyone puts the soft side on the board, but most do... it's mainly to do with how well things stick.

I have given up on hook and loop. I have it all over my Pedal Train Pro and the stuff just sucks. I have a whole spool of dual lock, and for some inexplicable reason I decided to try the included hook and loop. Awful. Barely holds things down. So I cable tied all of my pedals to the board... took about 15 minutes, and now nothing is going anywhere without a wire snipper. I was having cold sweats about having to replace a pedal if some jag decided to try and gank it on the gig. Dual lock is great for security, too.

3. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

The coomercial pedal boards sold in retail stores have that cloth covering on the surface of their pedal boards (ex: SKB, Pedal Board Cases). Then if you use the hook side of Velcro on the pedals, then it does not really stick to the cloth surface.

However, I use industrial grade hook and loops with the hook side on the surface of the board. With industrial grade on both sides, it is incredibly difficult to remove from the board. I usually have to apply very small amounts of the loop side on the bottom of my pedals if I ever hope to remove when I need to.

I'll never buy those pedal boards with the cloth covered surfaces. Those things don't do a good job of holding on to the loops. I don't know what the hell those pedal board designers are thinking. And that includes this guy who claims to be a musician designing pedal boards: http://tmcases.com/pedal_board_cases.htm

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

One commercial board that does work great with velcro is the Furman.

5. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Anyone have good luck with CORE or COFFIN CASE boards and velcro?

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

I went to a shop that sells commercial velcro, I mean like square yards of the stuff. I bought a square yard of the loop, and a 5 in wide roll of hook that was about 10 feet long.

The hook comes in different grades. This stuff I bought would hold the heat tiles on the space shuttle with no problem. It's actually a little too strong, it's a real bitch to remove a pedal from the board.

7. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Bumpty-dumpty. :)

8. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

doctor x, you should sell us some!

9. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

Where's the best place to get that 3M dual lock, and how much does it cost?