Question about Vintage Fender Mod

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

Hey all,

I just did the circuit changes to mod the bias circuit on an AB165 Bassman to that of an AA864.

part of the components removed invovled a couple of little terminal boards, which are not used now that the mod is in place.

What is recommended: Removing the unused strips, or leaving them in place in case someone wants to restore the matching bias circuit later?

Thanks,

Paul

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Leave it these old Fenders will live longer than ethier of us and if they are not hurting anything why bother?

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yeah, it's kinda a coin toss. The only reason to remove the terminal strips is the unlikely possibility that the nut would come loose and be floating around inside the chassis (which would be a bad thing). Can't say I ever remember seeing one like this though.

4. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

I'd remove the terminal boards if they aren't being used. If you have plans on selling the amp in the future, just hold onto the terminal board.

Personally, I wouldn't consider selling it. If you're into considering anything, I'd recommend the total changeover to a complete AA864 circuit....trust me, you won't be disappointed.

5. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

It's not my amp, and as it turns out, we ARE going to switch it over, but we're going to do one area at a time so the owner can experience the differences of each.

Thanks for the input guys! As usual, there's no definitive "right" answer :)