Question about volume level fading out

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by truecam123, Apr 29, 2016.

1. truecam123

truecam123 Member

I have a tube amp and my pedals are: Dunlap Volume pedal plugged into korg tuner with one line out. The other line out from the volume pedal goes into ibanez tube king pedal into tc electronic corona chorus into electro harmonix hum debugger into tc electronic flashback delay into amp.

Once in a while the volume will just drop way down. It will eventually come back up although it seems to come back after I mess with all the buttons on my pedal board and tug on all the chords.

If I pull out of my pedal board and go direct into my amp, the volume seems to be fine.

None of my pedals are battery operated and the chords seem ok. I don't have active electronics on the guitar.

Any idea what might be causing this?

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Dodgy cables, bad 1/4" jacks, even a flaky footswitch can cause the problem you describe. Troubleshoot by adding one pedal/cable at a time to find the culprit(s).

3. truecam123

truecam123 Member

Ok, I will try those things. It stinks because it is only intermittently but I will still try.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

4. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Intermittent problems are the worst and can drive you absolutely bonkers.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Try getting some Deoxit and spraying all the plugs and jacks....

6. truecam123

truecam123 Member

Thanks, I'll do that as well.

7. zenas

zenas Member

A few years ago I bought some Peavey cables. Four five footers to go between an amp switcher and the amps. Didn't take too long to figure out those are completely garbage. The ends are solderless pressed on things so the only fix us cut then off and put good ends on.

Anyways I tell you that to tell you this. I checked everything before I nailed it down to crappy cables from a crappy company. Dammed things were new and at the time only used at home. I just didn't think they could be bad already.

8. truecam123

truecam123 Member

That's interesting because the first thing I suspected was the hodgepodge of cables that I use. I have a cable tester and tested all of them and they all showed as working. However, I've recently noticed that some of the cables that have tested positive in the past don't always work perfectly.

9. zenas

zenas Member

Yeah those cables would work if I pushed the cable or turned it just right. So I could see them passing in a tester.
    Also like the other guys mentioned a dirty jack can do it too.