Question about Vox AC30 Custom Classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deadboy77, Dec 12, 2005.

1. deadboy77

deadboy77 Member

Yesterday I bought a Vox AC30CC2 from GC. I've read lots of good reviews lately and decided it would be a good replacement for that POS Marshall JCM 800 4212 (Now I know why people bash on channel switching JCM 800's). Anyway, it has an amazing clean tone but a really buzzy/fizzy overdrive. And I'm finding it really hard to dial in a good overdriven sound. Is this just how AC30's are, or did I get a lemon? Any info is appreciated.

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

A number of these had some tube problems when they came out, so you might be in this category.

Call VOX, they have been really good about solving problems.

From the one I heard, it seemed pretty nice, so you shouldn't have too much buzzy noise out of it.

EP

3. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Remember that these are just one persons opinions....

I have played both the 30 and 15. Frankly, I would return the amp to GC. I think that the money that is being asked for these amps is better spent elsewhere.

There is a strident quality to the top end of these amps that cannot be dialed out. For lower volumes, it is not a huge deal, crank it up a bit, and it began to grate on my ear after about 1 minute, and no, I don't play THAT bad [lol!].

For the same coin, you could find a used Tophat or Z and get a WAY better tone at all volumes.

I know what you are talking about when you mention the fizziness in the overdrive, I was not able to dial it out no matter what I did.

M.E.

4. deadboy77

deadboy77 Member

Yeah, the overdrive sounds like a Big Muff or Boss DS1. Very solid state sounding, almost like the channel switching JMC 800 I got rid of for that very reason.

5. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

are you using it at gig volumes? that amp doesn't even open up til its pretty loud, then it sounds great in the band mix (the other guitarist in my band has one). Don't try getting all your gain out of the preamp ... push that amp and make it sing. If you're already doing this ... buy another amp ... it's not your thing ... or you got a dud.

6. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I have a Vox AC30 TB with Alnicos. It was made in England. Is it any better than the custom classics, or is it the same in quality?

7. deadboy77

deadboy77 Member

Oh snap, I didn't even think about that:eek: I keep the master volume at about 1. Because of my living situation I have to keep it at lower than bedroom levels. I thought because my Zinky BV sounds good at low levels that all amps w/master volume would as well. So the buzzy overdrive is coming from driving the preamp only? Since I have to keep it quiet would a tubescreamer help get good tones at a less than reasonable volume?

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

Yeah, the MV is kind of silly on an AC30. The whole point is to get those EL84 screaming.

If it's too loud for you, Vox has just released an AC15CC. Though that'd only drop you about 3 dB. I played my Hayseed 30 at 15w the other day at practice and it was plenty loud. Though I'm going through a 2x12. The AC15 only has one speaker, which would cut your volume some more, I should think.

9. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

If you want to hear what the AC's are all about, turn the master all the way up, and then dial the preamp to where you like the tone.
    On the older AC-30's, my tone was always with the amp cranked, into the top boost input, bass on maybe 2-3, treble rolled off all the way, cut knob all the way to the right (which effectively gives no 'cut' at all). Sounds amazing with single coils and humbuckers alike.

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Bingo. The amp will never sound good like that. The MV works on those amps, but the lower you go the more you give up in tone. It's not really an apartment amp.

You may be better off with a really low power amp you can crank a bit. You could also try an attenuator to let your amp breath some more.

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I found it difficult at low volume without a good couple of boost pedals, Those amps are not so good at under about 3 or 4 on the master. I prefer them at 5 but that's WAY to loud for most people in houses. A nice warm creamy fuzz works well with those, rats do pretty well too. I tend to think at home volumes those amps are useless without an attenuator. At the moment 15 watts is too much in my apartment. I hate apartment dwelling.

12. deadboy77

deadboy77 Member

Is it because of the old technology used in those amps? My Zinky sounds just fine at bedroom levels and so did my Mesa Boogie Studio .22+
    In the Mesa .22 owners manual there was actually a setting called "bedroom metal" that sounded pretty close to a Rectifier. Well, as long as there's nothing mechanically wrong with the AC30 I'l keep it for recording, and use the Zinky for bedroom noodling.:JAM

13. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i would REALLY recomend trying out a BJF Emerald Green Distortion pedal if you're just playing in your house (or anywhere!) ... for once, i can handle not cranking my divided by 13 to get the tone i want. The pedal is amazing and sounds good at all volumes. It's pricey ... but it's the only thing i've been happy with so far. check out my quick reveiw in the pedal forum.

14. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

I finally got to try the AC30cc2 and the cc2x. I must admit that I really enjoyed the tone of the amp, but am very leary of the construction quality of the amp. I tried four of them. Two buzzed like a refrigerator. One with the Blues in it sounded great, but the grill cloth was falling off of it. The other was torn to hell and back by UPS according to the sales guy. I didn't see a drastic difference in the tone of the cc2 and the cc2x. At least not $600 worth. I loved the sound of these amps, but I'm afraid the stupid thing will fall apart on me. I don't have a lot of coin to spend, so I want as much amp as I can get. I'm really only going to be able to swing around $750-$900. I'm not sure if this amp is right or not. It's definitly the tone I want, but am concerned about the quality of the cab construction.

15. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Why not get the head? I have been dragging mine around since I got it in April and it hasn't broken down at all - a real winner imho. And frankly the construction is no worse if not better than at the old Korg UK factory with the PCB being just as thick and sturdy. There have been some troubles with the tubes but Vox has sorted that out now and the other types of damage that occured was due to shipping issues - they are now double boxing. In Canada the main national chain has sold about 50 of them and not one has come back yet.

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I've only owned (and currently own) an AC30CC and turning the cut knob all the way to the right is the MOST about of treble cut. Turning it to the left is not cut at all.

And I must say that the cut knob is a FANTASTIC feature. It really does cut alot of that high end when the knob is up around 3:00 o'clock (standing from behind). It can get muffled above that, though.

17. shuffle

shuffle Member

Can someone let me in on something.. Is the New AC30CC2x worth the extra $$$ just for the Alnicho speakers?

Will you notice much differece in the tone??

Im trying my hardest to save but im not sure whether i can get the CC2X or the CC2 cause im also saving for a car, if i was to buy the other one with Vox generic kind of speakers, would i be dissapointed and 'wishing' i waited and got the other one??

Thanks

18. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

I tried them both. Honestly, I didn't hear a huge difference between the two. For my money I would probably not worry about the AlNiCo speakers and just get the wharfdales. You can always change them later. I hear the Red Fangs are a good cheap alternative to the $300 a piece blues. I may take Wordsonyou's advice and get the head. I haven't tried one yet, but I already have a great sounding cabinet, so the head may be my first choice.

19. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

you can do the upgrade later, the wharfedales are decent, but they need more volume to get that good chimey vox sound you really want with that amp. It will make a considerable difference in when the amp starts to breakup and then what it does once it gets there. The wharfedales are not too bad out of the box though, just keep in mind you are going to have to have the thing going fairly loud to get that vox sound you really want from it.

20. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Could be the master volume design. If it is a single pot, post phase inverter "master" it does not turn the amp down in a linear way. First it dumps the lows then mids, leaving just the high end when it is turned down low to low volume levels.
    If the cut control does not work when the master is turned down low, thats probably the case.That master in common in other amps too.
    Rob