Question about wiring (2 hum, 1v, 1t, 3way)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by atomheartmother, Feb 19, 2006.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

This diagram seems simple enough, but where do the grounds go?

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T1101

In my guitar, out of the whole that the bridge pickup wire comes through is a metal wire/rod thing (kind of like the wires on caps) that I assume might be going to the bridge; it is soldered to the volume pot.

So would I send all of the grounds to the volume control, and those indirectly connect to the bridge (which is where I assume that the wire/rod goes), which would ground the instrument?

Also, with wiring the pickups, can I run the ground wire for each pickup to the ground part of the switch, and the ground wire from the ground part of the switch that goes to to the volume pot (I assume) with indirectly connect the pickup grounds to the volume pot? It just seems easier to do it that way.

2. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Yes, both ground wires from the pups get grounded to the volume pot. The solid wire coming from your bridge is probably the ground wire for the bridge and it can be grounded to the volume pot also (sounds like it it is already).

The ground from the input jack can be grounded to either pot (tone or volume), but most schematics have it grounded to the tone pot. I usually run an extra ground wire from the volume to the tone pot just to be sure ...

3. atomheartmother

One more question:

The switch that I bought looks different that the one in the diagram. How do I wire mine? This is my artistic rendition of what it looks like from a top down view (the black dot is the top of the switch tip).

My switch has 2 pairs of little tabs (for 4 total) and then the big tab on the other side (which is for grounds, I assume). The one in the diagram only has 3 tabs.

Any tips?

[​IMG]

4. jbro

jbro Member

What you have pictured is a standard LP style 3 way toggle switch.

Take the inner two connector tabs and bend them in toward the center, they are used together as one tab. This will be your constant/output connection and it gets wired to your master volume or jack (I didn't look at your schematic). Now the two remaining connectors on the outside go to each pickup.. either directly from the pickup lead or from an individual volume control, depending on the circuit.

5. atomheartmother

So the wires that connect to the inner tabs should be connected to both? Just run the wire through both tabs?

Also, I notice differences between these two diagrams besides for the fact that the pots in the guitarelectronics diagram are upside down. The capacitor goes to different places in each diagram; the grounds on each pot are different in each diagram; the volume and tone pot are connected differently in the guitarelectronics diagram vs the SD diagram. Which one is correct? Why the differences?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2hb_1vol_1tone_3way.html

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T1101

6. jbro

jbro Member

Yes, run the wire through both tabs and solder them together.

The only difference in those two diagrams is where the tone cap is placed. Both will work fine. The grounds are the same and the volume pot is wired the same, as you mentioned one is upside down so the connectors are reversed.