Question: Any combo amp with direct output?

yeast2000

I'm not sure if such thing exists, but if so, could anyone suggest a combo amp which has an optional direct output that I can use to go direct into PA when necessary (bypassing the speaker)? Preferably a low watt, quite versatile amp with good clean channel and overdrived sound? Thanks in advance. I'd like to see what options are out there first, then think about my budget.

SatelliteAmps

You can have a tech wire up a line out to just about any tube amp out there. So in that regards you can pick any amp.

HEAVENandHELL

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but the Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 has a speaker compensated direct output that can be ran directly to the PA. It does not bypass the speaker though. I've used this amp with the DI several times and it sounds good. The amp can also go as low as 8W so your low-power requirement is met.

Gregg

mlj_gear

Some Mesas have this set-up, and I think some Riveras. Plenty of combos of have line outs, but fewer let you mute the speaker.

For really low wattage, the Star Nova fits the bill.

I'm sure there's plenty more. Can't think of them off the top of my head...

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Traynor YCS-50 does. It switches down to 15 watts. The line out even works when the amp is in standby.

Guinness Lad

The Guytron GT-20 has a built in attenuater with a silent speaker out and a direct out. It also has an effects loop and built in Sennheiser microphone. The amp on the verge of being one of the coolest amps ever, my only real gripe was it wasn't quite loud enough for playing in a loud band, it;s only 20 watts.

StompBoxBlues

Some Fenders (Concert Pro-tube, I think my Deluxe Reverb II also) have it.

Carvin amps (I think they are very underrated. I like the sound, the features are really well done, selectable output impedance, line out (but I haven't tried it so I don't know how good it is), footswitchable reverb, seperate EQ for each channel, effects loop that works well with stompboxes...etc.

michael.e

The Guytron GT-20 has a built in attenuater with a silent speaker out and a direct out. It also has an effects loop and built in Sennheiser microphone. The amp on the verge of being one of the coolest amps ever, my only real gripe was it wasn't quite loud enough for playing in a loud band, it;s only 20 watts.
Any idea on what Sennheiser is in there?

Tripower455

I installed one in my Hiwatt clone yesterday. 2 wires, 2 resistors, a 1/4" jack and about 15 minutes....

You still need some type of speaker emulating box if you actually care how it sounds through the PA.

I've been running mine using the direct out from my Minimass, but it's just another thing to drag around or lose. I had the Minimass between the head and cab, then used the line out of the minimass into the red box, which went to the PA.

Now, I mounted the red box in the rack, and just need one 1/4" cable from the line to the rack and don't any other boxes attached to the amp/cab.

It actually sounds pretty good through the PA with the red box, not as good as miking the cab, but no feedback issues!

Keep in mind that you still need a speaker load on the amp with this setup, so you need to either keep a cab plugged in, or use some way to absorb the load.

yeast2000

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll try the PDI-09 first. Seems to be the quickest/easiest solution for now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom