Question - are reverb and delay redundant?

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
Hi you guys, I'd appreciate your feedback. I have a plexi that I'd like to add a little dimension to, and I've been thinking about maybe pairing it with some reverb and/or delay (set very unobtrusively).

Given that context, is this a situation where I should just pick one and go with it? If I had both, would that be redundant?

Thanks!

Imperial_Tone

All things with a Maple Cap
Depends on the context of the music you are going after. Layering effects comes to the taste of the player. Honestly a balance is needed in some situations. I often find myself using verb more than delay at home and the opposite live depending on the venue. Some guys swear that verb can cover delay for certain parts, others not at all. I would say you should have both to give yourself the options of running them for certain aspects. Nothing wrong with adding a little of both, especially with a plexi.

rte1023

It depends on the type of delay as well. A delay works pretty well live if you don't have amp/pedal reverb. There is natural reverb from any room but a touch of reverb really helps in my opinion. A spring reverb effect and slap back delay setting are very similar. I recommend the Keeley Caverns as it has both on a single box pedal, so you can combine or have one or the other.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I often find myself using verb more than delay at home and the opposite live depending on the venue.
Same here.

At home I need reverb, live I usually don't but a little subliminal ambiance delay can really make you sound bigger, great for trios with drums and bass.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know about redundant, as they're different things. But for a plexi, I'd go with a short, simple delay and call it a day.

A little bit of delay can sound like reverb, and a lot of reverb can sometimes sound like delay. But to me, reverb is more about expanding the tone (almost the opposite of compression), while delay is about accenting the tone, specifically with echoes of itself. I like to use both. I have MXR analog delay pedal and digital reverb on my amp. I put the reverb where it will expand the tone a bit, making it sound like it is in a small room, and set the delay to give me just a little slapback. For me, this serves to help the notes sustain a bit better, sound more dynamic. But flavors depend on mood. Sometimes I use more, sometimes less, sometimes one rather than the other. It all depends.

augur

2 delays + 1 reverb on my board
However I keep reverb with short setting at the end.
Running both delays + reverb at the same time turns me inside a huge space.

IM4Tone

A spring reverb effect and slap back delay setting are very similar.
Have to agree with this for settings I prefer. They're not exactly the same, but very close IMO. I'd never bother having both pedals on a board and I'm sure that in a live band setting, noone listening could tell the difference.

Depends...sometimes...maybe.

I use the "Kosmic" setting on my SDD-3000 as a reverb, and another patch for my 3/16ths delays, and that works for me. Love the reverb, love the delay.

ilyslue2

If you are going straight into a dimed plexi........choose a noise free pedal.....I have run effects in front a lot, and IMO the integrity of the signal and S/N ratio is as important as the quality/type of the effect itself..........try before you buy.....

Adelbatross

I wouldn't say redundant since it depends on the kind of delay (digital vs analog) and reverb (Spring, Plate, Ambient, etc) you're using. The EQD Dispatch Master or their new Avalanche Run might be a good choice here. Personally I'd go with an MXR Carbon Copy or another analog delay to add a bit of texture, and reverb if you want some depth. For reverb upper end you have Strymon (I like the Flint), and an underrated but excellent one is the Deluxe Plus by Mr Black. If on a budget the Hall of Fame is quite popular.

ironman28

Gold Supporting Member
I prefer to not run reverb and delay in series, which is typical on a pedal board. If I have to use that series connection only one would be on at a time. It sounds mushy and indistinct with both on particularly with higher gain. Reverb and delay in parallel sounds much more natural to my ear and I find I dial in less of each when used together. I think with a plexi the reverb/delay sounds much better after the power amp/speaker if you can manage a separate amp for the wet.

Rockerduck

Two weeks ago I played a room that had natural slapback delay. Didn't need to use anything. Most of the time, places I play have natural reverb, so I never use reverb in big rooms. Outdoor festivals, I use a touch of reverb and delay.

IM4Tone

Two weeks ago I played a room that had natural slapback delay. Didn't need to use anything. Most of the time, places I play have natural reverb, so I never use reverb in big rooms. Outdoor festivals, I use a touch of reverb and delay.
I too have played several places where all reverb and delay (slapback) had to be turned off because the hall had an overabundance naturally.

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
This is really great feedback you guys, I appreciate it!

Pat Healy

I'd get both, but if forced to choose, I'd go with delay. Most rooms you play in will have some natural reverb unless they're very small or very dry.

Trending Topics