Question ... Em Drive and Paramount OR Lightspeed and Southhand

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dicky, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Dicky

Dicky Member

I'm looking for a dual OD combination for my Milkman creamer. I like the JHS Morning Glory through it but wasn't fond of either the Moonshine or the Superbolt with it. I've been looking at either Emerson's Em Drive and Paramount or Greer Lightspeed and Southhand as potential alternatives. I've switched from a large board to a PT jr. and am being selective. Other pedals on the board will be a Strymon Timeline, Flint, AM Sunface, Klon, Cali 76 G-P (on the way soon), and tuner.

Let me know your thoughts TGP .... thank you!

2. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

3. rufe

rufe Member

The only one I haven't played in that group is the Southland, but here's my take based on playing the others and researching:

Lightspeed and Southland with offer you the most variety. I've owned the Lightspeed, and it's certainly different than a lot of other drive out there. I know lots of people rave about the Southland, and from what I can tell it's decently different than the Lightspeed. For me, the Lightspeed was just too much transparent/separation- in my rig, it seemed to separate out each note and give it a sharp edge- it wasn't super smooth and, if this makes sense, made my guitar sound like a collection of strings rather then strings blending together for a guitar tone. If space is a premium, the Greer Pedals are decently bigger than most other drives out there today as well.

I currently have an Em Drive and it's great, but the Paramount wasn't anything too special to me. I think it covers a decent amount of Em-Drive territory, so it'd be a little redundant, and as a drive I like some of the other options out there better for something a little more unique. Emerson makes great stuff though, so I'm sure you'd like the combo and be able to find a good spot for both of them.

I think I personally would go with the Greers. Something more unique sounding and pedals that do (supposedly) lots of different sounds from each other.

4. feet

feet Supporting Member

are the morning glory and klon not enough? which kinds of tones are you trying to achieve? i have an mg and em drive (on different boards) and although they are different, they provide similar levels of gain. the mg is a little more colored and i think the em drive has a little more low end warmth, but i use them for the same purpose, light break up.

and for what its worth, i also considered a lightspeed for the exact same purpose, transparent-ish light break up. and come to think of it, i almost got a paramount, as well, to pair with the em drive for a light/med combo.

5. Dicky

Dicky Member

The MG is an always on extremely light OD that's more sparkly clean than anything. I use the klon as a clean boost/buffer at the end of my OD chain just to fatten everything up. I'm looking for something medium to compliment the MG but other JHS pedals (Moonshine, Superbolt) haven't been my cup of tea. With HBs I can get dirty enough but I find that with the single coils its either fizzy or not enough gain. I'm not looking for huge amounts of gain.

6. Dicky

Dicky Member

Bump ... Anyone else?

7. jm9239

jm9239 Member

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

It all depends on what you're trying to play.

FWIW the Southland is the Lightspeed with more gain. A maaxed out Lightspeed can cop lower gain Southland settings.

I dig Greer pedals generally.

9. Dolflundgren

Dolflundgren Member

Don't be afraid of trying the Morning Glory at very high gain settings. Since it's not a high gain pedal, it really doesn't get overly compressed and it does a cool midgain sound when you have the gain knob maxed.

Maybe just grab another one

10. Dicky

Dicky Member

Ideally classic rock sounds are typically the tones I aim for. Having said that I play in a top 40 cover act and an original country band.

11. Dicky

Dicky Member

anymore?

FWIW ... I prefer the MG at lower gain settings. I find the added gain brings an unwanted high end to the overall tone that's not easy to dial out without taking away from the shimmer the pedal adds.

12. Dolflundgren

Dolflundgren Member

Interesting, I find when I make the MG too "shimmery" it starts just sounding like a lower gain version of the Charlie Brown. I run the tone lower and up the gain and it brings out a more pronounced midrangey overdrive that sets it apart from the CB. The bright switch can pretty effectively add that shimmer back in on those settings as well.

That's probably why they stack so well.

I find it neat how versatile such a simple drive pedal can be.

EDIT: That's another possible option for you, pick up a Charlie Brown. I much prefer the drive sounds in that box to the Superbolt and Moonshine that I had.

13. Dicky

Dicky Member

Now I'm curious how the CB would sound for me. I've been toying with an original 808 and really like their sound together. The MG is perfect for clean to slight breakup and the 808 gets me over the top. I may add an EP to the mix to push the MG or as a lead boost over the 808.

Didn't like the Moonshine at all and loved the Prymaxe videos. Still have one but it's on the way out.

14. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

so wait... you're downsizing your board, and yet you have not one, but 2 OD pedals that are either always on or acting as a buffer...?

sounds like you'd be better suited looking at an amp you like more if you need 2 pedals just to get a basic tone you're happy with

15. Dicky

Dicky Member

I'm extremely happy with my amp but love the klon as my always on. The Morning Glory is my mostly on. For straight clean its simply the klon but for slight boost its the MG included. This board has been for my Milkman Creamer mainly and primarily with single coils. I love my basic tone and those two pedals its finding stacking pedals for my next gain stage that has been a bit of a search. I'm not really sure what to get next that'll play nice with what I've started with basically.

16. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

I would say either the Lightspeed+Southland combo or try the Barber route (my personal choice): Gain Changer+Direct Drive Compact. That could get you almost anywhere you want to go with ease.