Question for a nice semi-hollow/hollow

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LadOfEastPoland, Mar 11, 2015.

1. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Ok, people of republic of TGP,
    thie title says it all. I was looking for a guitar that would mainly do in blues/jazz/country/rock area. I was probably thinking of a Gibson ES-335. But than I thought "is it really worth it"? I would get a 2000s ES-335. But another guitar that seemed great is Epiphone Sorrento. I am looking for humbuckers (and beefy sounding ones!!!). Maybe Gibson Midtown Custom? Please enlighten me, peeps! High output humbuckers like the ones that you would normally get on all your Vintage Epiphone Rivieras is not really my thing, to be quite frank. I want it to have nice clean sounds that also overdrive quite nicely.
    Help?
    Thanks.

2. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I say it in every thread like this... I haven't found anything better than the Schecter Corsair for my money. No matter the budget or headstock logo (like big $$$ for Gibson). Schecter's fit/finish & overall tone is better to my ears than any other 335 variation I've ever played.

3. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I totally dig my Epiphone Dot…..BUT i freaking love the looks of the Corsair. I can't decide if I want it in black, red or sunburst.

The black cherry is gorgeous too…but I've never seen one for sale:
    [​IMG]

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

There's a Peerless made Epi Sheraton in the emporium now, bet that would work. If you can find one used at a good price, the Godin Montreal Premiere is semi-hollow with a difference. Really nice guitar.
    MD

5. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

6. Crossroads

Crossroads Member

Epiphone ES-335 Pro.

7. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Came in gold too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

9. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

A little more than the Epi or Schecter but less than the Gibby are the MIJ Yamaha SA series guitars. The 2200 is, as my mother used to say, "do die for." For a little less Eastman makes some really nice guitars in this space. One of the Japanese companies made and Elvin Bishop model that I used to troll for - looked cool.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Eastman and Ibanez make super semis for the $.

11. autologic

autologic Member

I agree. I just bought one of Craigslist for a great price, and I absolutely love it so far. The only problem I have with it is that I would rather have a burst than the black it came in... [​IMG]

12. e???

e??? Member

I had an ibanez hollowbody, but every time I took it on stage with a band; it fed back like a bastard. Solo or acoustic shows it was fine, but add drums and it was pretty embarrassing. So I'd go for a semi if you're gonna do band scenarios. I'm looking at an epiphone es339 pro p90 lately, and they make em with humbuckers too. Seems like a great guitar through a few amps I've tried it through. Only thing that's stopping me is a 1965 epiphone century with one p90 in the neck, but it's 1300 $ compared to the 400 $ es339... both great guitars though. Never played a schecter semi, I'll have to check those out. But the solidbody schecters I've tried always seemed kinda stiff, and not too fun to play.

13. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

14. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

As far as new guitars go, the Guild Starfire III and IV Reissues are really nice. For around $1100. you get a guitar that hangs with a Gibson ES 335 and a vintage Westerly Guild.

In the same league and price range is the Yamaha SA2000 (if you can find one).

15. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

The Newark St. Guild Starfire IV is the best buy for me, killer sound and workmanship way above most currently made ES335.

16. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Would actual Gibson ES-335 for 1800$ be a good deal?

17. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Depends on the guitar. I bought a mint (looked un-played) Memphis Dot with Deluxe green key tuners added for $2000.

18. KennD

KennD Supporting Member

This is the best 335 type guitar I've played - it's a Made in Japan Seventy Seven Exrubato Custom - outstanding instrument; - flame maple top, back & sides, ebony board, 5 piece maple/walnut neck, & quality hardware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Gee, that one seems like the best I can get! It looks like an actual ES-335. But, please find one on the internet for me :p so rare

20. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Check out the Eastman T386.