Question For All You recording Buffs

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bloozman, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

My band recorded a Demo Cd today...After the Engineer mixed the songs, he recorded them onto a CD. The mix we heard coming off the recording boird was great, but once that was copied onto a CD, and then played on a car stereo etc...The mix was different...very heavy bass which overpowered all the other instruments so badly that I had to re adjust the car stereo and had to take all the bass off and turn the treble up etc...You get the idea...What went wrong between the console and the CD??

2. elambo

elambo Member

Car stereos are not good references. One of two things probably happened - a) his monitors don't have enough bass so he's putting too much in to compensate, b) your car stereo has too much bass.

The way to know for sure is to listen to a CD from a band with money (not an indy label) with a similar sound as your band and see how much bass THAT album has. If it's cool in your car, ask to listen on the engineer's monitors.

Or post an MP3 of one of the songs and I'll take a listen here.

3. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

I took the CD home and played it on my PC, and my home stereo...Same Result as the Car Stereo...Too Much Bass!!..Then I played a quality CD on my home stereo, and set the EQ..then played the CD we made...Too Much Bass, and of all things...Too much high hat also...something went wrong from the console to the CD?...any other suggestions?..Thanks Bloozman

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Tell the engineer his mix sucks--you're paying for it, you might as well have it your way. :D

5. wolf9309

wolf9309 Member

nothing went wrong from the console to the CD. Something went wrong between the monitors and your engineer's ears. The first thing to keep in mind is that no speakers sound the same, so any competent engineer will know how his speakers will sound compared to other ones and will compensate the mix to make it sound as good as possible on most sets of speakers.

6. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

That's for sure, but I've read a few stories about bands ensuring that the mix works well on car stereos. Are you expecting to get air play?

;)

7. elambo

elambo Member

Obviously, but I think I was casually trying to say that he needs to make sure that his car's eq isn't set to the smiley face, or the bass knob on 10. I used to listen to every single mix I'd ever do in my car, but no longer need to since I've learned what my control room monitors sound like and how they'll translate to other systems.

Now after reading the poster's reply, I doubt that the engineer who mixed the songs has the same accurate paradigm for HIS room. Tell him your concerned that the bass is out of whach as compared to CDs you've purchased and get his reaction. If he's competent he'll agree and offer to remix one song to your satisfaction, then the rest of them.

8. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I saw some thing once about a hip hop producer (jermain dupri perhaps?) who keeps a fully loaded Bentley in his studio, so he doesnt have to waste time walking back and forth to the carpark while checking his mixes :eek:

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

it is always prudent to listen to commercial CDs over various systems to find a benchmark. ear fatigue can be a debilitating handicap that can result in poor mixes as can an engineer who does not have a set of properly set up, fairly neutral monitors. by keeping an SPL meter handy to make sure that the mixing volumes don't escalate and using commercial CDs to act as a benchmark should be standard operating procedure.
    prior to CDs, people used to listen to real, un-amplified instruments to act as a benchmark. imagine...

10. onemind

onemind Member

I used to have a tendency to pull back treble after long mixing sessions, especially on the NS10s the fatigue would make high end sound very unpleasant, eventually I learned to take frequent 'rests' Of course checking other references is very important. So how does the mix sound side by side with some favorite recordings?

11. covert

covert Member

Go back to the studio. Bring a cd that you like the sound of. Play it and listen to how it sounds on the studio's monitors. Tweak your mixes for similar spectrum. Repeat as needed, along with checks on other sytems.

12. billdurham

billdurham Member

If you mixed an entire CD of material in one session, I can gaurantee that ear fatigue was a big issue with the engineer. covert's suggestion is a good one.

BD

13. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

I called the studio, and the Engineer told me to bring back the master and he will re-do it. sounds like he wants to do the right thing...Ill let everyone know how it turns out..Thanks for all the tips, Im gonna try all of em...you guys are great...Bloozman

PS..funny thing as we didnt listen to the CD after it was burned till I got in the car...we should have, but I just figured what was on the console would automatically go onto the CD..That was my mistake...I guess you have to listen to the CD before ya leave!!!

14. scottlr

scottlr Member

I agree with many of the above posts that you should bring a commercial CD that sounds like YOU want it to sound, and have him use it as reference.

I use my car stereo for mix testing, because that's where I listen to music the most, so I know how it sounds. I did put all of the tone controls to the neutral slot. I'll A/B my CD with a commercial CD in the car as well.

15. loudboy

loudboy Member

What was on the console DID automatically go to the CD. His monitoring was inaccurate, or he was tired, or any of a host of other problems...

Send him samples of similar stuff that you think sounds good, and tell him to try and match the tonal balance. This may not be entirely possible, due to the fact that every band/studio/engneer has a different sound, but he should be able to get the basic low end to high end balance more to your liking.

Loudboy

16. elambo

elambo Member

Most likely, unless he's one of the few still recording analog to the CD player, in which case he could have some processing happening in between. Doubtfull. Prob a mix issue.

17. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Don't be too quick to judge!

Stratovarius's hierarchy of egos:

Singers
    Guitar Players
    Drummers
    Bass Players

:D

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

so that would put singer/guitar player/sonwriters where?
    c'mon it takes a certain amount of ego just to be able to DO that.
    me?
    i'm a self loathing narcissist.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Great line, I'm stealing it, thanks, see ya. ;)

20. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i've been using it for too long myself.
    i bequeath it to Ur trust. use it well and remember, it is a two edged cliche.