Question for all

DKing

What style of gigs do you play?

Roadhouses -You know you have to move the pool table to set up. lol. Mostly no pa except for vox....a dude in back yelling "Freebird" all night and being very serious about it....."Mustang Sally' may get played twice on these nights. lol
Bars - A step up from roadhouses, but you’re still essentially a jukebox…Most things get mic'd but maybe not...One 'Mustang Sally" a night, only if needed?
Clubs - Where people come specifically to see live music. These all have stages and everything gets mic’d...Big pa and lights..lol...."Mustang Sally" by choice.
Weddings - You know the deal. You're there completely for them. Whatever they want you give them. It's their day. Respect it.

I am also curious as to roughly how many gigs do you do a year? .....and of which styles?

* Disclaimer - I really enjoy playing 'Mustang Sally' not so much for me musically but because I enjoy watching people enjoy it and watching them dance to it. It's just an example and I am half-joking. It's just a refence. :)

I look forward to reading your response.

Be cool.

DK

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
I had a rock/alternative band and we played mostly clubs and maybe a couple of bars...

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
You forgot one. P&W.

156 "gigs" a year, (Three times a week) for the past 16 years straight, for approx 45 min playing time each service, ours is southern rock.

:)

jrw32

All of the above except for weddings! I gig about 3-4 times/mo., which is about 36 a year or so I guess, most of which are bars & clubs.

JStizz

almost strictly clubs, with the occasional bar. depening on how many acts im playing in i usually do between 30 and 60 shows a year. im just a young guy playing for original artists.

mix of clubs/bars. roughly 50/50, and about 20 gigs of each type a year. I prefer clubs because of the improved sound (generally) but bars gigs are usually pretty good clean fun

DKing

Cool thanks for the answers.

Opp...forgot Church gigs. I didn't put festival gigs either because those are seasonal where I live.

I do about 120 or so a year. All different styles of places. I take whatever I can fit in the schedule. I enjoy doing them all.

I was wonder this because what I need out of my gear depends on what type of gig I am playing. You know....Setting up fast, no time for Tuning between songs, string breakage, volume...etc.

Be cool.

DK

skeeterbuck

I play for the cat in my living room on the sofa whenever I get the urge. I usually sit on the sofa.
Does that count? :rolleyes:

Sorry DK, the devil made me do it. :FM

DKing

Hey Skeeter...I would been bummed if no one posted something like that. lol..

Does your cat chew on your headstock?...I used to have one that did that. It a Frankenstrat, It looked even cooler when it was more beat up...In my mind he was helping me "relic' it...hehe. I left it out overnight... I was asking for it.

DK

XKnight

Many years ago when I was actually in a band, we played mainly in Joe's garage or a basement and occasionally we got out and played at some drunk Keg fest or at a battle of the bands. Sometimes we even got paid with real Benjamin's in addition to all the free beer we could drink. Then of course there were the groupies but that's better left for another time and place. :cool:

These days I just play in my room by myself.:messedup

dave s

My current gig is with a show-type band. We do primarily the festival circuit from April/May through October. We've had a few Country Club type gigs and corporate parties, but prefer the 2 set show type festival gigs best. A few clubs, but rarely--just enough to keep the chops up.

dave

prsflame

We play everything from the dumpy bars/roadhouse type places, to showcases at major clubs. We play wherever they pay us:D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom