Question for Barber DD users.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fr8_trane, Sep 29, 2005.

1. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I just got a new Barber DD and it certainly is a fine pedal. I particularly like the versatility that the trimpots and the pull harmonics add. That said, I find the pedal to be a little constricted by its midrange voicing and especially by its excess compression even at lower gain levels. What mods will make the DD sound more open w/ less compression? Would switching to a TL072/082 or a Burr Brown chip help. What about adding or clipping a diode for asymmetrical clipping? Keep in mind I'm not looking for less gain (although I'll compromise if I can get the tone and feel I'm looking for) just a more dynamic feel and less congestion in the mids.

2. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

You might try shooting Dave Barber an email. He seems like a nice guy from the dealings I've had with him.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Good idea, but I was hoping for a little user feed back as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who thinks the DD feels a little compressed.

4. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

:YinYang Drive ;)

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I've got a zendrive on order:cool: However that pedal won't be the marshall rhythm OD that I need the DD to be. See?

6. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried the Barber in a live mix situation yet? How bout recorded with it?

I'm just asking, its always funny how stuff sounds different in real life situations, versus sitting at home right in front of the amp playing by yourself.

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Point taken. I am playing a dual HB guitar thru a SF bassman set clean and loud. I am comparing the DD with a Tech 21 Double drive which I find to be more open and less compressed at similar gain levels (but I like the DD bass response better). The mid voicing of the DD may actually cut better than the The Tech 21. I'll find out at rehearsal this Sun. However the compression is still an issue. I like picking nuance and dynamics and the DD is currently lacking in that department as well as reacting to volume knob adjustments.

8. propska

propska Member

I felt the same way with my DDSS. The JRC4558 was a bit too compressed and had too much of a mid hump. So I went through a few different chips. From what I remember, my conclusions were:

TI 4558- much like the JRC, but with less compression

TI 4559- more open sounding, but a bit too harsh for me

TL072- very transparent, but I wanted more warmth (not enough mids)

Various stacked combinations of the above- they were cool, but I started hearing some weird fuzziness. my favorite combo was the 4558 and a 4559.

However, I ended up settling on a burr brown. There are a few different bur Browns that work in the circuit. I tried two, and went with the OPA2604AP (I forgot what the other one was, but it was really hi-fi, so it went into my delay). I felt the 2604 was more clear than the JRC, but still retained the warmth.

As for the clipping diodes, if you want less compression, I would keep the stock silicon diodes. Germaniam diodes make things more compressed. You can try LEDs, but I always felt they were too harsh. check out http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/index2.html for info on clipping section mods.

you can also check out http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ for infor on mods and DIY stuff.

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

propska, thanks for the chip info. I will try a TL072 tonight since I can get them at Radio Shack. As far as diodes go I am an old hack (literally) at that kinda of thing. What I was looking for are combinations that may have worked for others. David Barber suggested adding a single Si diode to one of the diode strings so that one side would have 3 and the other would have the stock 2 diode arrangement. Sounds like a plan.

10. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I see the Radio Shack near me carries the TL082, not the TL072. Can anyone tell me if this op amp is a likely candidate for a swap? Thanks,

gb

11. cosmos

cosmos Member

I'm using a Barber DDSS and used it on stage for the first time last Saturday. It was the first I felt it had a bit too much mid. However, I couldn't hear that on the recording we made at all. We're recording our show again this weekend, I'll post something next week.

12. JPenn

JPenn Member

I had previosly tried a DD twice and thought my Maxon SD9 sounded better. I took the DD to the gig last Saturday and came away feeling completely different! The SD9 sounds better at the house, without a band. The DD cuts better live for me.

13. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

That's so true ... whenever I've heard the DDSS being too middy onstage, the recordings have proved otherwise. That said, I think I've found a happy medium between what I hear onstage and what can be heard from outside after endelssly tweaking the trim pots and by running the DDSS @ 18V ...

14. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

the thing i notice about the internal trimmers on the DDSS is that by turning the "Harmonics" control fully CCW (off), the pedal becomes significantly more dynamic and less compressed...the character changes quite a bit and there is a lot less midrange "grind" but, for a more articulate sound, i find it is really nice...

15. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

That's what I was trying to get at. My DD, (one of the old school hand painted ones, out of the first batch) cuts through a live mix, VERY nicely. At home I always think it has this weird high-mid range, so I rarely use it at home, instead I use my Crowther Hot Cake. But live that DD is always the best. In fact, I just got done playing an afternoon gig, and I used my DD for most of the overdrive duties. I just love that nice thick layer of dirt that it adds.

David Barber, you're still my hero.

BTW, I've posted this many times but David is in my opinion the epitome of customer service in the industry. My first Barber DD mysteriously died on a Wed., I called David and he priority mailed me a new one, and I got it on Friday, so I missed no time. The man is a saint. In fact one of these days I need to call him and order a Silver LTD that everyone keeps talking about.