Question for Boss OC-2 owners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zmobley84, Mar 12, 2015.

1. zmobley84

zmobley84 Member

I recently dug this one back out of my collection, and it much glitchy-er than I remember it being. I know almost all Octave pedals have those little glitches, but this thing is waaay glitchy. I'm talking I-think-it's-broken glitchy.

Is it broken? Or do people actually go after this sound?

2. russintexas

russintexas Member

It really doesn't do that for me, but I'm careful to not drive it too hard, and keep the tone knob down a bit in order to reduce overtones (which can "look" like polyphonism to the pedal).

3. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

Had one long ago and bought one again recently.
    Plugged it in and I thought it was buggered.

Changed effects order > perfect!!!

MAKE SURE IT IS BEFORE YOUR DRIVE PEDALS!

4. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I run a compressor in the front of my oc-2 that helps stabilize the effect...

5. kdc113

kdc113 Member

I used to have one, the trick is putting first on the chain,

6. zmobley84

zmobley84 Member

I'm running it first, but it still sounds bad to me. Would a bad component cause an increase in glitchiness?

7. Flanging_Fred

Flanging_Fred Member

Are you using the correct ASA non regulated power adapter. or batteries, or something else? I found that if you're using regulated power supply then it's less glitchy run at 12 volts rather than 9volts.

8. zmobley84

zmobley84 Member

I also tried giving it an isolated power supply, but I didn't notice a difference.

I think the problem might be that I've replaced both relatively weak single coil pickups in my guitars with pretty hot humbuckers. When I used the neck pick up (still a single coil), it wasn't nearly as glitchy.

9. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

I have too many pedals that are supposed to be first in my signal chain.

10. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

I run tuner > comp (CS-2 or Carl Martin Comp/Limiter) > Fuzz > OD > Boost > mods, delays and reverb

As long as mine GETS a clean signal coming in, it is perfect.

11. GMGM

GMGM Member

This is maybe a dumb question, but how are you playing into it?

- If you are trying to play chords, it's going to be pretty rough.

- Single note lines will be a little glitchy, but still usable.

12. great_blue

great_blue Member

I was about to ask this same question as I just bought one for a project where I just need an octave down and no dry signal. I've tried it first (and last) in the pedal order, I turned down the gain on the octave down, played with the guitar volume and tone, used different pickups on the guitars (tele and LP) and I still get jumps in the pitch. The ONLY thing that seems to make a difference is to play above the 5th (or 7th) fret, but I really feel limited by that.

13. GMGM

GMGM Member

I've had my OC-2 since it came out, so I can't say if anything had changed over the years.

But that said, it would be towards the font of my signal chain (before any wahs, envelope filters, overdrives). If possible, I'd put it after a compressor or clean boost to make sure it gets the most even input signal possible.

If I hit a low open E, it might wobble a little bit between octaves. But as long as I play cleanly, in a more staccato fashion, without any open strings ringing out, or other notes and noises interfering with the OC2, it's pretty good.

But also, if you have the OC2 - you just have to accept it's shortcomings. It is a little glitchy, but nothing sounds quite like it.

Our last bass player had the newer MXR bass octave pedal (forget the model). It tracked pretty great. Otherwise, it might be worth looking at a Whammy type pedal (which will track slower, but more accurately).

14. steelers88

steelers88 Member

Replaced mine this year with a Pitch Fork, more versatile if you need it to be, tracks better.