Question for Bruno Underground 30 Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Feb 24, 2009.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm just wondering if you guys would be able to tell me at which point your UG30 starts to break up on the dial (i.e. 9:00, 10:00, etc.- use "O'clock"). Also, please mention what type of speaker you're using, how old the speaker(s) is/are, what tubes are in the amp and anything else worthy of mentioning. Oh, also, how hard are you picking...

That is all!

Thanks.

2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

well, I'd say by 9 or 10:00 I'm getting *some* breakup, but it's more just a little grind on the attack rather than sustaining overdrive. that's one thing I've noticed about the UG30 (mine at least) -- that it has at least some breakup relatively early, but it's a long slope of transition, so it doesn't mush out by 12:00 or anything. just progressively adds gain from there. some other amps seem to transition more rapidly.

I'm using a Blue and a G12H, which contributes to the early breakup.

The guitars I use most have PRS Dragon I's in them, which are pretty strong pickups.

I pretty lightly though - just use my fingers/nails and not a pick.

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I don't think that different speakers will make the amp breakup any earlier or later. At some point, the speakers themselves will start to breakup, but not until they are pretty close to blowing.

4. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

Well if you would stop throwing your amps from the top of the stairs your tubes would be fine!! Chewpavatz!

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I agree that around 11:00 I get some good breakup on the UG30 with a Strat, maybe a bit earlier and more aggressive with the humbuckers. I run it through a Bruno 2x12 with Blues that are a little over a year old and well used. Tubes are NOS GE EL-84s and some Tele/RCA 12AX7s. The UG30 puts out such a beautiful sound, just reading this thread makes me want to go play it! Be right back....

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks, guys.

zoooombiex, so you'd say that it starts to break up between 9:00-10:00? Before that it's totally, 100% clean, right?

traviswalk, you say you "get some good breakup" around 11:00... does that mean you just start getting breakup there (i.e. before 11:00 it's 100%, fully clean) or that that's the spot on the volume dial at which you get your desired breakup sounds?

7. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Well, you're right that the speakers don't make the amp itself break up earlier or later. Sorry if it came across that way. But I think speakers do contribute to the "breakup" sound even when they are not necessarily close to blowing - just when they are being healthily driven. If I played the Bruno through a 2x12 with blues, compared to a 2x12 with EVM12L's, I would hear what I describe as "breakup" earlier on the blues. It's not the same sound as tubes breaking up, but I lump them together as "breakup" in my mind. Maybe that's just me? Maybe those speakers just emphasize what the amp itself is doing? I dunno.

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I'll have to check on that. I usually run it at least that high, and I know I get some breakup there. I don't recall off the top of my head if it is 100% clean before that.

I am pretty sure, though, that when I have run a lower-output strat at my same settings as with the high-powered humbucker, I don't get any breakup to speak of.

I'm guessing by your questions that yours is breaking up from the lowest point on the dial? If so, I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't be breaking up heavily way low on the dial. maybe a bit of compression and edge on a heavy attack, but unless that was a one-off or modded somehow I don't think there should be a big grind down low.

9. J D Miley

J D Miley Supporting Member

I use a hybrid Tele with a LIL 59 in the bridge and a noisless single coil type in the bridge. I get better head room by playing the UG 30 at 11:30 and just back off the guitar for clean. I also use a Pedal Doc modded CS3 compressor which seems to help add a lot more head room. The break up is a very pleasant sound to me, It depends how hard you hit the strings. the compressor adds lots of spank and helps keep it clean.

10. J D Miley

J D Miley Supporting Member

I use a Tele with a LIL 59 in the bridge and a noisless single coil type in the neck. I get better head room by playing the UG 30 at 11:30 and just back off the guitar for clean. I also use a Pedal Doc modded CS3 compressor which seems to help add a lot more head room. The break up is a very pleasant sound to me, It depends how hard you hit the strings. the compressor adds lots of spank and helps keep it clean.