Question for Budda Bud Wah owners.

Bart

Silver Supporting Member
Howdy folks,
I was talking to my friend about his Bud wah. I wanted to borrow it for a test just in case I decided to buy one in the future. Then he said something very strange, he said that inside it says 'Dunlop Custom Wah'. He didn't specify where it was written, but why should a pedal manufactured by a totally different company bear the name of another?
Is this how it is supposed to be? Thanks.

drolling

Great wah! Can't say I've noticed what's written in mine, but Voxes & Buds are built at the same factory where the Dunlop Crybabys are made.

Kind of ironic that they're both better than any of the many variations of Crybabys being produced today.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
bandofthieves™;2117002 said:
Stop Thinkin;)
RMC has their own Pedals now.Dunlop has been building and recently Designing the Vox wahs.
They also Build the Budda wahs,but as of yesterday it was a Budda design..:)
Yup.

Ummmm. . . I think:)

No, really.

Anyway, I love my Budda, even though it's purple. I wouldn't even care if it said maid in the basement (though I would go down the stairs and see if she was cute).

Bart

Silver Supporting Member
OK. So the borrowed wah is here. The Dunlop label is actually printed on the circuit board. Is that how it normally is? Does that mean that a Crybaby can be modified into a Bud Wah?

Greentone

They are manufactured by dunlop, it is a different circuit though. I love mine. I don't really like over the top 'vowel" type wahs, so it suits me very well.

LesPaulPlayer

They are manufactured by dunlop, it is a different circuit though.
Greentone is correct. From the very beginning, Jeff Bober used to modify Dunlop Crybabies by installing his proprietary Fasel-like inductors (with the same copper-colored RF shield cover as today's Bud-Wahs) and true-bypass switches. Budda Amplification then turned this into an actual Bud-Wah production wah manufacturerd by Dunlop Mfg. to Jeff's specifications.

All Bud-Wah's have the Dunlop name on the printed circuit board along the bottom edge. It is often covered by adhesive QC labels so you might not see it unless you peel the labels off.

The wah went through a board revision when the Bud-Wah + (volume swell feature added) came to production but the Dunlop name on the board remained in the same spot.

Nevertheless, it's still Budda's specification. Dunlop Mfg. just makes them for Budda. So I would definitely judge the wah on it's own merit and not the 'Dunlop' mystique.

LesPaulPlayer

Yep, that's it. In fact, that's the first Bud-Wah PCB layout before the volume swell version came out. Are you the original owner? How long have you had it?

Here's what it looks like without the QC label. Sorry for the blurry image:

Here's a Rev. B circuit board. Notice the empty area on the lower left part of the board where the side kick switch would be placed if it was a Bud-Wah +. This is how all the current Bud-Wahs are laid out and it still say's 'Dunlop' under the stickers:

And finally, here's a couple of shots of a Precision Audio Tailoring wah, the predecessor to the Bud-Wah. It's a Dunlop Crybaby that's modified by Jeff Bober:

Wow, posting the insides of wah pedals... I need to get a life. :jo

Last edited:

POD Buster

Yes...I am original owner. I think I purchased it around '00 or '01. It's a great, reliable wah pedal. I happen to like the purple, too. It matches my Mojo Vibe.

Trending Topics