Question for Carvin builders

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jdobson, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jdobson

Jdobson Member

How did you know what your guitar was going to look like? I've gone through the process of building my guitar through the carvin site but I wish it would show roughly what it will look like. Am I asking too much? I guess I dont trust myself. I dont want to place an order and then when I finally get the guitar go "oh crap" that looks awful, I should have done this that and the other. I'm having a tough time picturing it in my head I guess. Anyone else have this problem?

2. starjag

starjag Member

The pics posted at the Carvin Museum and Carvin forums should help. Keep is classy, don't go nuts on the potential combinations and extra stuff. Place the order on the phone, go over the specs at least twice with the agent, and clearly state any requests you might have. The return policy is your friend. You'll be fine.

3. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Just avoid gold hardware. That generally ends up garish looking on a real quilty or flamey guitar IMO.

4. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Look in the catalog. They list all the options that the pictured instruments have. That usually gives me a good idea of how my idea would look.

5. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

There is also an "archive" you can find with many( 100s ) pics of many Carvins to get a better idea.

Also if ordering a top wood like Flamed Maple, Plain Maple, Plain Koa, Figured Koa, Walnut etc.- you can send them a Pic of one of the Carvins and they'll get pretty close to the Grain and Figuring and Finish.

Keep in mind that each piece accepts the stain differently- so translucent finishes are one- of- a-kind not PRECISELY alike......

6. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Not necessarily (IMHO, that is). Depends on the finish:

[​IMG]

I really don't have a problem guessing what my guitars will look like, but they usually come out better than what I'm expecting.

7. beckerman

beckerman Member

The only reason I haven't ordered one. I've been waiting for what I like to show up in their "Guitars in Stock" before I buy. It's been a looooooong wait.

8. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

You can start a photoshop request of the members on the Carvin boards as well. Some of those peeps are pretty handy with a computron :aok

Their return policy is no joke. And you can send in pictures of what you are trying to achieve, and they will do their best to match it.

9. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Probably a bad idea to base your decision on their photography <G>.

To the OP: What are you thinking for a finish, and on what kind of guitar?

10. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

I studied the Carvin in stock archive closely before lucking out and finding what I wanted used ;).

You can search by finish color, so you can see your finish on a bunch of different guitars that are bound to have your hardware color, etc.

11. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

And you can send in pictures of what you are trying to achieve, and they will do their best to match it

True Deathmonkey, BUT, sometimes they charge you a $100 charge for it.

On my 1st DC127 build, I sent in a pic of the exact style of quilt maple I wanted, got charged $100, and got a guitar which looked NOTHING like I requested.

On my 2nd build, I asked for swamp ash, and "a nice looking grain pattern". They didn't charge me anything, and I got this:

[​IMG]

Turned out pretty nice, I think.

:)

12. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Yes it did !

I've even seen a few "plain" Alder ones that had really pretty grain ( and IMO Alder's not usually as pretty as Ash ) - like Carvin's Wood Shop guys went out of their way to find some nice grained Alder because it was a Clear Finish- no stain.

And the " Plain Maple" Tops also are usually very nice when Stained or ' Sunburst etc. or clear they still have some nice balanced grain- Carvin really works hard to satisfy their customers IMO.