• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Question for Charvel DK24 HSH Owners

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
I was going to pop off the volume knob on my Charvel today and to my surprise, it is a pull knob. This model isn't advertised as having a pull knob, and in fact, coil splitting occurs through the 5 way selector switch. It does seem to split positions 1,3 and 5, but why would there be 2 coil split devices?

So my question is: does anyone else have a pull volume on their DK24 HSH, or is mine a factory error?

Obligatory pic:

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
Mine definitely does not have push/pull volume (or tone).
I've thought about that mod because I often use the neck pickup in single-coil mode on my Charvel Style 2 HH (by pulling its volume knob up) and I do miss that option when I'm playing the DH24 HSH.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
It’s splitting. I’m guessing it was returned within the return period by another buyer after the mod or mislabeled as new. The solder job definitely doesn’t look factory, but it’s done correctly at least. Adds 3 new coil split tones to the mix.

I was going to pop off the volume knob on my Charvel today and to my surprise, it is a pull knob. This model isn't advertised as having a pull knob, and in fact, coil splitting occurs through the 5 way selector switch. It does seem to split positions 1,3 and 5, but why would there be 2 coil split devices?

So my question is: does anyone else have a pull volume on their DK24 HSH, or is mine a factory error?

Obligatory pic:
I saw your other thread here where you sold the guitar and noted you had a coil split knob on the guitar and was going to ask you how you used it because you said it gave you 3 additional splitting options. I was curious because I know you could split the neck or the bridge humbucker, but what was the 3rd option it gave you? Meanwhile, my model of this guitar does not have this push pull knob for splitting. Then I noticed you bought it new possibly after it had been modded by prior owner.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
I saw your other thread here where you sold the guitar and noted you had a coil split knob on the guitar and was going to ask you how you used it because you said it gave you 3 additional splitting options. I was curious because I know you could split the neck or the bridge humbucker, but what was the 3rd option it gave you? Meanwhile, my model of this guitar does not have this push pull knob for splitting. Then I noticed you bought it new possibly after it had been modded by prior owner.
If I recall correctly, the factory coil split is in positions 2 and 4 of the 5 way switch and is a combination of split coil paired with the middle single coil. The aftermarket coil tap gives an isolated neck split on position 1 and an isolated bridge on position 5. Then it gives a bridge/neck split combination in position 3 (which is neck + bridge humbucker in factory settings)

I didn’t hear a difference in positions 2 and 4.

If I recall correctly, the factory coil split is in positions 2 and 4 of the 5 way switch and is a combination of split coil paired with the middle single coil. The aftermarket coil tap gives an isolated neck split on position 1 and an isolated bridge on position 5. Then it gives a bridge/neck split combination in position 3 (which is neck + bridge humbucker in factory settings)

I didn’t hear a difference in positions 2 and 4.
Thanks for your reply and that makes sense. Position 3 should already be a split of the inside coils of the 2 humbuckers. What did you think of the sound of the coil splits on the individual humbuckers - is it worth the trouble?

phretbored

These Charvel PRO MOD guitars are legit!

It had been forever and a day since I owned or played a Charvel not for any dislike of them I was just focused on other brands.

For some reason I got really curious about the PRO MOD offerings.

I went with the Pro-Mod DK24 HH 2PT CM Matte Blue Frost

The roasted maple is beautiful looking and feeling and sounding.

This model has a series/parallel switch hooked up with the 5 way blade selector.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for your reply and that makes sense. Position 3 should already be a split of the inside coils of the 2 humbuckers. What did you think of the sound of the coil splits on the individual humbuckers - is it worth the trouble?
The one that stood out was the single isolated coil in position one. It sounded very Strat like. The others were just slight variations. It was cool to have but probably not worth the effort, honestly.

My only issue with my Charvel is tuning stability from using the tremolo which is a shame because it has a high quality Gotoh tremolo. I think it has to do with the string trees being at such a sharp angle...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom