• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question for country music fans here about Sugarland

RickNew

Does anyone know why Sugarland is considered a duo; and is there a contractual reason why Jennifer Nettles is not a solo artist yet. I may be ranting a little here but wth thousands of great musicians and singers in Nashville and elsewhere whose names I don't or barely know, why do I know the name Christian Bush and have to watch him jump up and down on every awards show next to Jennifer with his guitar or mandolin barely audible and not adding anything vocally. Nothing personal against him but I've seen Sugarland live several times and Jenifer Nettles has enough presence and command of the stage to not need that distraction going on around her....Am I off here?

Last edited:

KSKONDOR

I disagree....espescially the last sentance...couldn't the same thing be said about many famous lead singers? I think it's the whole there is no I in Team thing.

squeally dan

Dude-

I kinda of agree with you (op). I've noticed that guy also and he looks sort of out of place. I may be mistaken, but I think their was a third member of Sugarland that got the boot. She looked even more out of place. Kinda the overweight butch look. I am assuming that they must write the songs that Jennifer sings. Not sure.

drgonzoguitar

Kristian Bush (and former member Kristen Hall) is the songwriter of the group. That's how it works. Same thing like Brooks and Dunn, one has the voice and the other has a large selection of tunes.

jtm622

You can believe that he has something that she needs, or she would've jetted his ass long ago. Even if she didn't think of giving him the scrub by herself, you can believe that somebody in her posse would be whispering "what do you need with the guy wearing the funny hat?" in her ear...

RickNew

Kristian Bush (and former member Kristen Hall) is the songwriter of the group. That's how it works. Same thing like Brooks and Dunn, one has the voice and the other has a large selection of tunes.
Your songwriters point is well taken but your comparison to Brooks and Dunn makes my point. Some of my favorite B&D songs are sung by Kix Brooks and he always does quite a few lead vocals at every show along with being the predomnant harmomy vocalist to Ronnie Dunn and serves as the front of the band as much or more than Ronnie. I have yet to see Kristian Bush take a lead vocal at a show and he does surprising few main harmonies.

John II

Sugarland began as a group, a 3 piece. One left after the first tour. I bet Jennifer has not gone solo because she is more of a contender for awards in the duo category than in the solo one.

The only singing I have heard Kristian do is the "hey yeah's" at the end of Settlin'.

Madison

I have to agree, he doesn't appear to bring much to the table other than noodling on stringed instruments and jumping around the stage...a visual contribution to live shows. Songwriters are a dime a dozen in Nashville, and she has all their attention right now. Actually one of their best songs was written by Bon Jovi. The lone blond is a hot commodity in country music at the present time, she wouldn't have any trouble making the transition IMO.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
He is? What songs has Bush written?

Jenny Nettles wrote "Stay" all by her lonesome.

And Ronnie has written as much as Kix and sang 99% of their songs.

Nashville creates duos and groups to stand out from the gaggle of individual artists. When Sugarland came out, they needed a duo (or at the time, group) so they built it around Jenny.

She IS the group, same with Ronnie in Brooks and Dunn.

You can guarantee it's not a 50/50 thing as far as the dollars go in either situation.

Kix Brooks' guitars are never even plugged in when they perform and the harmonies on the records sound like Ronnie rolls his own.

guitgator

Kristian Bush (and former member Kristen Hall) is the songwriter of the group. That's how it works. Same thing like Brooks and Dunn, one has the voice and the other has a large selection of tunes.[/quote]

I hate to break this to ya but Ronnie Dunn wrote Boot Scootin' Boogie, Neon Moon and several other #1's before he ever met Kix Brooks. As a matter of fact I believe Ronnie's five-song demo tape included what would become THREE number one songs off the first album. For whatever reason the "all knowing" music execs couldn't picture Ronnie as a solo artist. It may have been his age...he was in his late 30s at the time which is considered ancient in Nashville. One might argue he's a statue onstage...but then how does that explain Randy Travis or Alan Jackson getting deals?

I've yet to hear Kix Brooks' actual voice on a live song as a harmony singer. John Wesley Riles did all of the harmony vocals to Ronnie on the record for years...don't know if that's still the case.

As for the Sugarland story.....there is one....but I can't tell it!

Things are NEVER as they appear in music

fullerplast

I've seen them a few times in the early days when they were the unknown opening act in some small clubs. Back then, they were a 5 piece band. Things have evolved quite a bit since then.

As for the Sugarland story.....there is one....but I can't tell it!

Things are NEVER as they appear in music
Now that I can believe!......:tapedshut

guitgator

I've seen them a few times in the early days when they were the unknown opening act in some small clubs. Back then, they were a 5 piece band. Things have evolved quite a bit since then.

Now that I can believe!......:tapedshut

I've heard that Kristian Bush is involved quite a bit in the studio part actually...I'm not much of a fan of Jennifer's "though the nose" singing style myself...but she's a fan favorite...she connects with people....money money!

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard that Kristian Bush is involved quite a bit in the studio part actually...I'm not much of a fan of Jennifer's "though the nose" singing style myself...but she's a fan favorite...she connects with people....money money!

That voice of her's....argh...nails on a caulkboard..with phoney overdone TWANG thru the nose !!! And the real story of how they kicked the 3rd member out..that should be interesting, but I'm sure she got a big check to go away and keep quiet.

Someone please find Trisha Yearwood ...now that's my lady...she can sing !

fullerplast

I'm sure there was plenty going on behind the scenes with this act once the cash cow aspect took hold.

The evolution from "band" to "duo with a backup band" did not happen overnight and there was a period of time where it was quite confusing who and what "Sugarland" really consisted of.

Vonda Shepard actually gave them a bit of hand in recognition when she had them open on her tour. The Ally McBeal crowd ate it up.;) They appeared on one of the TV episodes and things really started to move quickly after that.

Telecaster62

Ronnie Dunn is Brooks and Dunn, period. Kix Brooks may be a decent songwriter and spokesperson but that's all he is. He can't sing AT ALL. Jennifer is certainly the center of Sugarland but I do believe Kristian writes or co-writes most of their tunes. He can't sing either.

jtm622

Ronnie Dunn is Brooks and Dunn, period. Kix Brooks may be a decent songwriter and spokesperson but that's all he is. He can't sing AT ALL. Jennifer is certainly the center of Sugarland but I do believe Kristian writes or co-writes most of their tunes. He can't sing either.
Sooner or later - absent the existence of any "goat pictures", of course - we're gonna read this headline in "The Music City News": "JENNIFER NETTLES TO GO SOLO"....
Remember when Sugarland teamed up with Bon Jovi for that "Crossroads" TV Special??? Well; for all that he contributed, that "Kristian" guy might as well have been standing over in the corner holding a bucket of sand... with both hands.

Trending Topics