Question for Driskill Owners

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DWB1960, Aug 21, 2008.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

About how heavy is a non-chambered Driskill? Just based on what I've seen of them I'd guess in the ~8.5 - 9.0 pound range.

I know it depends on the woods use so I'd like to hear from various owners.

2. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

How did you come up with that number?

Joe's bodies are thicker than any other guitar I have ever played and owned. I own 3 driskills and have played over 10, and none I would consider light. I would email Joe or try calling him to find out what his avg weight is, but from my experience, they are heavy guitars, and thats what gives them that amazing sustain. Add a braz neck and its even heavier

3. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Just a guess. I do not want to bother Joe since I'm not interested in buying one. Was just curious about the weight.

4. clarkram

clarkram Member

I have a Diablo, mahogany body (chambered) and neck , maple top, weighs in at about 8lb 9oz.

5. MGW

MGW Member

They are heavy. And the solid brass bridge doesn't help. I know Joe. His shop is about a mile from my house. I can stop by tomorrow and talk to him about it. Need to go by anyway.

6. dwes

dwes Member

I owned a Driskill and would estimate it's weight at 11 lbs.
    Heaviest guitar I've ever owned, but it had a Brazilian neck and cocobolo back.
    Dave

7. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

I've never weighed mine, so I just did. #77 sports a solid BRW neck and weighs in at 9lbs.

[​IMG]

8. Diablo

Diablo Member

Hey Donnie,
    They range from one that was 7 lbs 3 ounces (redwood top, white limba neck and body) to one chambered cocobolo body and solid cocobolo neck/maple top) that was just over 11 pounds. Cocobolo is the second most dense and second heaviest wood that there is.

Most are right around 8.5-9 pounds. Quite a few though are right at 8 lbs or 8.1. Those are usually ones with the anodized stop tail which is aluminum. It all depends on the wood and what bridge goes on it. The solid, one piece brass tremolo is a pound. The brass stop tail is 8 ounces. The aluminum one is 1.75 pounds.

The older ones that were all solid are probably around 9 pounds or thereabouts. I don't have and older one here right now so I can't measure it. Again though, a lot depends on the hardware. I use metal pickup rings also. With the aluminum ones, a lot more weight is saved. On the older, solid ones, I used Schaller bridges so they weigh less but they were solid so that might offset it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to talk to you. I remember most everything about each guitar so I might know something about it if you know which one's weight is in question.

9. prsflame

prsflame Member

Dave Metta was kind enough to let me play his Driskill for a few weeks back in 2004. The guitar balanced so nicely, that if the guitar did weigh in the 8-9 lb range, I didin't notice at all. It was a wonderful playing/sounding instrument.

10. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Thanks Joe! Appreciate you taking the time to chime in on this.

11. MGW

MGW Member

Joe's guitars are great! I 've played several in his shop. He's got a Fender twin sitting around to play through. NICE stuff.....he's ALWAYS busy, but always great when you stop by. Class act for sure.

Joe...did they ever get you cleaned up from the fire?

L8R
    Scott

12. hodad

hodad Member

Exactly. I own #75 and it seems a little weighty when you pick it up, but strapped on you don't feel it because of the perfect balance.

13. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Balance aside, the weight of a guitar is still hanging on your shoulder. I have a 9.85 pound Neal Moser Custom that is perfectly balanced, but is still a heck of a lot more uncomfortable than my 8.65 pound LP or 7.5 pound tele.

Not slagging Joe's guitars, just saying that heavy IS heavy. I could never play bass for a living!

14. hodad

hodad Member

Maybe an upright?:crazy