• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Question for Drummers...

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking to buy an electronic drum set for my son for his birthday and am hoping to get an opinion on two sets. Being a guitar player I'm not sure what to look for and what's important in my price range. I'm looking at a roland td-11k and a yamaha dtx522k. Both are $999 and seem to have similar features. Both seem to get good reviews. What do you drummers think? Is there another brand I should be looking at in this price range? Thanks!

b80

Very close on these two. They are equal in value and features. Is there a way he can play on both first to see which feels better?

habanaerosmith

Roland has been the top dog in the eDrum game for a long time. Yamaha has always seemed to be playing catch-up, which isn't necessarily bad--in fact, they may be better feature-wise in order to stay competitive.

If it's not a surprise, I'd have him try them. It's likely that the pads will feel slightly different, but the sounds at this point are going to be fantastic on both.

I remember reading that the Yamahas in that price range were more expandable--more inputs for additional pads--but I'm not sure if that's still true.

You can't really go wrong either way.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I've always thought the feel and response of Roland's electric drums is better than Yamaha and looking at the two, I would probably give that nod to the Roland.

The Yamaha has a bit better pads though with 3 trigger zones for the cymbals and snare (compared with 2 zones for the Roland pads), and the Yamaha has some extra built in features to facilitate practicing and learning, which I don't believe the Roland has.

hobbes1

I am primarily a guitarist and bassist but have also played drums. The best route I found (for best sound and feel) was buying used roland pdx-8 pads for toms, a pd-120 for the snare and Yamaha pcy e-cymbals and HH. I use a roland td-8 brain (started with a TD-6V) but the later generation brains might be better from a multi-zone perspective (using all zones on three zone cymbals, snare, etc.). I used some acoustic drum kit type hardware for mounting as I hated the MDS roland racks. So I bought used snare stand, cymbal stands and Gibraltar arms for mounting the toms. I felt like I had a really nice, stable, compact eKit that was very touch sensitive, easy on the wrists (rubber pads suck!) and allowed a lot of expression. The number one thing I like about an eKit is using it to trigger Superior Drummer samples via a midi cable/computer. Route the sound to either a home stereo or PA speaker, etc. and you really have a great sounding kit at all volumes. Easily recordable too.

IMHO, for sound, touch, feel and general happiness, you won't find a better eDrum experience unless you are in the Roland TD30KV territory and spending $5k+. You can put together a kit from used gear for easily less than $1k as I described above. Also, you can make this scalable in that you can start with HH, snare, kick and a tom + couple of cymbals and add toms, cymbals as needed. Hope this is helpful in some way.

habanaerosmith

The best route I found (for best sound and feel) was buying used roland pdx-8 pads for toms, a pd-120 for the snare and Yamaha pcy e-cymbals and HH.
Buying used is almost always the best option...unless it's a gift, which this is.

hobbes1

Buying used is almost always the best option...unless it's a gift, which this is.
yes, I got that. Still, unknown timeline for getting it purchased. IF there is sufficient time, buying used is a viable option. Guitar Center online used often has lots of drum equipment for sale and can be shipped/delivered in <one week, IME, no matter where in the US it comes from.... Anyway, just a thought. Buying a complete kit-in-a-box could be an easier solution, but IME it may not be the best solution.

fwguitar

I have the basic version of the Roland, the TD1-KV and I really like it.
I would go with the Roland.

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the info fellas, I went with the Roland TD11K which I was able to get for a great price ($730). Good info hobbes and something I'll have him consider for future reference. Right now neither him (or I) know enough about piecing a kit together so for this first go around preferred to keep it simple and buy a complete kit. I'll leave it to him to upgrade once he finds his own path. Thank again, Cheers!