Question for Fargen amp owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by caspersvapors, Dec 21, 2009.

1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

Hi guys, this is my first post here.

Anyways Ive recently become interested in the Fargen Blackbird, I first heard about Fargen through another forum I read - rukind.org. Anyways, were you guys able to play through a Fargen before purchasing one? I live in Northern CA and am suprised to see that even though Fargen is located in Sacramento, there is no Northern CA dealer listed. I would love to try one out in person. Do any CA people know where I can check one out?

Thanks!

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a 30 watt and I bought it without playing it. I talked with Ben a fair amount and listened to some clips. I was honestly a little nervous sinking that kind of money into an amp without trying it, but I have not been disappointed. It is a killer amp. Different from a BF Fender, but in a good way for me. It has great clean tones and takes pedals beautifully.

3. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a Blackbird. I have a 40 watter, JJ's and a Wizard. Plenty of Fendery clean, more headroom than BFDR, loves pedals, grab and go weight.
    I have an Epic too which made it very easy to sell my Dr Z Maz Sr. I had a MiniPlex for a few months. Fun Marshally style low powered amp. An Olde 800 is next on my list.

Call Ben. He's a great guy to work with.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

ordered mine in 2001 sight unseen and got weekly pictorial updates during the build process...at that time Ben was an unknown partime amp builder with a day job...

my leap of faith was rewarded 10fold...I have done some cap. and an OP tranny upgrades and still have the amp after 8 years and still my number !...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I have a 30 watt. Do you live near me?

6. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

7. straticus

straticus Member

I bought me Fargen Bordeaux in early 02. I called Ben and was able to go buy his shop. I'd give him a call if he's within driving distance for you.

8. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

I asked him about it, it seems itd be hard to coordinate. Its about a 2 hr drive, and since all amps are built to order, they would have to one almost completely finished for me to check out

It seems however that most people have been more than satisfied.

9. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I have 2 Fargens and they're both great...Ben made me a custom 2 channel Head & cab that is one of the best amps I've ever had...top notch workmanship and customer service...you can't go wrong with any of his amps...good luck...

Here's pic in case you were curious...

[​IMG]

10. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I bought my Olde 800 site unseen, best amp I have ever owned. I had an Epic 30 and Mighty Plex too, both good amps.

11. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

guys with blackbirds: are they best suited for single coils?

I play a 57 RI strat

12. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

My Andersons have mix of singles, stacked singles, minihums and hums with mini toggles that do all sorts of stuff.
    Not a bad sound to be found coming out of the Blackbird or Epic. Great amps! i bought all three of mine unseen, unheard and was not disappointed.

13. Puckman

Puckman Member

Let me piggyback on this thread to ask a Fargen question. Does Ben still take direct orders? I see he has an ebay store now (but no Blackbirds currently listed) and I don't see a pricelist on his site.

14. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

You email him and he'll give you the prices.

15. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

I owned a 50 watt Blackbird for a short while. Did sound particularly great with single coils. Didn't get to try it before buying it.

I'd recommend a BB if you think an amp that is 1/3 blackface Fender, 1/3 Vox-y, 1/3 Hiwatt with great reverb is something you'd be interested in. Mine had a lot of headroom, but I haven't tried other BBs.