Question for Fender Experts: Correct Tuning Pegs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by twp, Feb 25, 2015.

  1. twp

    twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    570
    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2013
    The action on the tuning pegs on my MIM Fender is too loose and the instrument isn't staying in tune well. I'm about to try changing out the tuning pegs. Pics of the current (stock) pegs below. Is there a method to tighten the action of these pegs? I'm not aware of one, but before I change them out want to check.

    Also, are these pegs a suitable replacement? They're the best match I've found. Thanks in advance for any info.

    http://www.amazon.com/Kluson-SD9105MG-In-Line-Vintage-Machines/dp/B0006ZSU3S

    Here's the current/stock pegs:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Rhomco

    Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    1,473
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2005
    Location:
    Burleson, Texas (DFW)
    No way to tighten them but Klusons usually last a long, long time. The set you ref from Amazon should drop right in without changing the press-in bushings. If not be careful removing them.
    Good luck on your project,
    Rob
     
  3. swiveltung

    swiveltung Member

    Messages:
    14,567
    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Location:
    PNW
    The Tone Pros Kluson style are much tighter, look similar but are actually quite different, thicker bigger housings etc. Unfortunately they are more expensive also.
    I've found in todays world that the standard Klusons are a roll of the dice. Seems like often there is one in 6 that is real loose even new.
     
  4. twp

    twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    570
    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2013
    Followup: So I got the set linked above; as it turned out the bushing were just a little too loose in the headstock holes. I hear thats a known issue with MIM headstocks. I got a set of adapter bushings, but they were too large to fit in the holes. I ended up shimming up the bushings with some teflon tape, and that seems to have worked well. I've played it live a few times now, and its staying in tune much more reliably. thanks for the inputs.
     

Share This Page