Question for fit2-btied................(Celestian content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Aug 18, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Everyone says how great the Celestian Blues are..........the only thing that scares people (like myself) from getting them are the low wattage. Why doesn't celestian just make a higher wattage version of them as well for other applications?

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

When you change one thing, you change everything.
    The speaker wouldn't perform the same after.

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Doug,

why are they so expensive?

4. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

You'll need to ask Celestion that question.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I had a feeling the answer wouldn't be a simple yes or No kind of thing...........

Just wondering if they even tried...................:confused:

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Not to rain on Celestion's parade, but I felt that Weber's 30 watt (they have a 50 watt recone kit, too) recone kit on a blown Alnico Blue was incredible. It produced slightly more bass, the same chime, and I didn't notice any loss of high end or upper mids, either.

It's an asskicking recone upgrade. I'll be doing some clips of it next week paired along with some Scumback speakers.

7. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

No rain on my parade Jim...there's a reason we still own the market share. :D

Oldschool,
    We've simply kept them to their original spec because of the sounds that they are capable of producing. Doug is right, if you mess with something, you will change the sound. We're always looking at options though, so keep your fingers crossed and that's all I can say. Regarding cost, Alnico itself is a very expensive source material. In otherwords, the speakers are not cheap to make, and we hand build them in the UK. I hope this helps a bit. Not looking to start a pissing contest, just answering questions.

8. el34power

el34power Member

Well, fit... in a perfect world. we would all have a 4x12 of blue's, greens, h30's and a few fruit salad mixed ones.:cool:

9. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

But maybe that's okay. Even considering some changes in tone I'd still be interested in buying a 30w Cele Blue if offered. The Weber 15-30-50 all are slightly different, but all sell well. I got rid of my Blue 15w because despite it's rich tone, it stifled my playing because "subconciously" I was holding back from really digging in for fear of blowing it out.

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No Pissing contest..............I really appriciate your answers and Time. :dude Its awesome to get information from the pros.

I was just thinking.............I know they wouldn't be the same, but in addition to the Classic immortal 15 watters........couldn't they make a stronger pair with the materials Scumbag suggested? I don't think anyone would expect then to sound the same...............just louder and in the same vien. Sort of a Blue series of speakers..........:cool:

11. Scumback Speakers

I've got at least a dozen people that have emailed me to do an Alnico speaker, but I think between Celestion, Weber (15-30-50 watt versions) and now Eminence, that there are likely enough versions of the Alnico speaker out there (not to mention Jensen, Tone Tubby, and God knows who else) that I'm really not sure what I'd bring to the table by getting one spec'd out. Not only that, but I'd have to find a great sounding one first, then an identical dead one to send to Ted to recreate them from. That's a whole nother pile of money on speaker R&D that I haven't exactly geared up for.

I will be recording clips using combinations of speakers next week. I have a 15 watt Blue (original cone, about three years old) and a 30 watt Weber/Blue recone to mix with other speakers. Figured I should do combinations so people get a better idea of what they like in a 2x12 or 4x12 mix. I'll post a link when I get it done, and let everyone here decide what they think sounds good.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Sounds cool! Keep us posted..............:cool:

13. Scumback Speakers

Will do. I should be starting on it on Sunday. I'm going to do a close mic'd SM 57, and a really nice condenser mic for the room sound (Neumann sp?).

I'll have the current Celestions, AlienFX/McGourty, Celestion Pre Rolas, and my own line setup for this one. I'll post a link when I get it going.