Question for fractal and helix owners please

GeoffP

I don't play gigs, i don't play songs. Not good enough. I just jam on my own or with mates with loads of verbs and delays. Sort of post rock meets space rock meets ambient. Amplifire, two H9s and a timeline meet my needs perfectly. Except for overall presets. I have maybe a dozen amplifire patches (it does amp/drive pedal/compressor duties, no other effects), and a dozen settings on each of the h9s and timeline. Mix and match as the mood takes me, sometimes you come across an unusual but wonderful combination, maybe tweaked the knobs a bit, which i then promptly forget. It would be nice to remember, like have a preset for it to use occasionally. My midi skills are not good enough to connect them all together with a complex midi controller. So although i love my pedals and cannot conceive of better sounds, my mind wanders to fractal or helix, but i suspect it would lose on versatility for the 90% of the time i want to freely mix and match. Would it be possible to have what i want on either fractal or helix? I suppose i want to have a patch which would easily let me select any one of my amp sounds, any one of my delays sounds, any one of my verb sounds etc. without having to change patch, get into menus etc. Just with the feet. Then I could have a load of patches of particularly wonderful combinations to access occasionally. Oh well, sorry if that doesn't make sense. I don't for a minute imagine it is possible but if it was, i might be converted.

clintmartin

The AX8 has scenes and also X/Y states for each block. The helix has snapshots. You can do a lot with either.
The Amplifire can hold it's own tone wise. Do you have the 3 or 12? If you have the 12 you could have 10 versions of the same preset with different delays and reverbs.
With the AX8 you could have 8 scenes using a combination of 4 different delays and two reverbs all in one preset.
I'm not sure what the helix could do within one preset...I didn't have it long enough to go that deep.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
I don't play gigs, i don't play songs. Not good enough. I just jam on my own or with mates with loads of verbs and delays. Sort of post rock meets space rock meets ambient. Amplifire, two H9s and a timeline meet my needs perfectly. Except for overall presets. I have maybe a dozen amplifire patches (it does amp/drive pedal/compressor duties, no other effects), and a dozen settings on each of the h9s and timeline. Mix and match as the mood takes me, sometimes you come across an unusual but wonderful combination, maybe tweaked the knobs a bit, which i then promptly forget. It would be nice to remember, like have a preset for it to use occasionally. My midi skills are not good enough to connect them all together with a complex midi controller. So although i love my pedals and cannot conceive of better sounds, my mind wanders to fractal or helix, but i suspect it would lose on versatility for the 90% of the time i want to freely mix and match. Would it be possible to have what i want on either fractal or helix? I suppose i want to have a patch which would easily let me select any one of my amp sounds, any one of my delays sounds, any one of my verb sounds etc. without having to change patch, get into menus etc. Just with the feet. Then I could have a load of patches of particularly wonderful combinations to access occasionally. Oh well, sorry if that doesn't make sense. I don't for a minute imagine it is possible but if it was, i might be converted.

If by "Fractal", you mean Axe FX XL+ plus Bitchin' midi pedal, the answer is yes. With my Mastermind GT22 midi pedal and my XL+, I can set it up so that in one patch I can freely switch between 4 amps, 4 chorus sounds, 4 delay sounds, 2 Flanger sounds, 2 Phaser sounds, and more. And it was all very easy to setup and syncs up perfectly with the XL+. Of course, I never ever do that, but it is certainly possible.

With the Helix and AX8 you can also do a lot, the Helix more so than the AX8. But if you want to seamlessly swap out 12 amp sounds into the same virtual pedalboard setup, I don't know that anything is going to beat your current setup.
-
Austin

SteveO

I'm not familiar with the Amplifires features and capabilities, but I'm assuming it can send MIDI PC messages. If so, you could easily take your existing rig to the next level with about $30-$40 worth of short MIDI cables to link everything together. Not as easy as an all-in-one unit would be to program, but MIDI isn't really all that complicated to figure out.

veritechc

The Helix with snapshots will allow you 8 seemless different tones per patch all at the push of a button. The most a Helix can do is 4 amps in one patch at a time but that is pushing it I regularly have two amps but with snapshots you can change every setting on those amps and effects. I've done that with three amps too.

For what you are asking the AX8 is not for you. It can't do dual amps and the x/y switching on that unit isn't gapless.

GeoffP

Many Thanks for the insights. Maybe I need to learn MIDI. Put off by a remark I read on this forum once saying H9s had problems, apparently they only work at the end of the chain. Tricky to arrange when you have two. Assuming that is not the case, I assume I will need one of the newer midi controllers which will send several midi messages on different channels for each preset/patch. Or maybe i really don't know what i am talking about.

JCM 800

AxeFX with the MFC would absolutely do what you want. It's obviously not cheap but I can personally say it's killer gear.

veritechc

AxeFX with the MFC would absolutely do what you want. It's obviously not cheap but I can personally say it's killer gear.

He is totally correct that an Axe Fx 2 with an MFC will do all that you need. But you are looking at $2249.99 + $649.99 + shipping brand spanking new.

A Helix is $1499.99 full list with free shipping.

The both do what you want but the Helix has a really cool learn function to program midi with. I had an Axe Fx 2 but never an MFC. I do not know if they have a learn function. Helix is just as killer for 1/2 the price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom